Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Gravity Knife, OFW

Article about: Bought this at the Show of Shows in Kentucky, around 2 months ago. There were many WW2 issue, but not many "Bund" issue. I believe I payed \\$70.00 dollars. Interesting design.

Default German Gravity Knife, OFW

Bought this at the Show of Shows in Kentucky, around 2 months ago. There were many WW2 issue, but not many "Bund" issue. I believe I payed $70.00 dollars. Interesting design.

German Gravity Knife, OFW

?

Default Re: German Gravity Knife, OFW

Nice knife.
    SteveR

?

Agreed,BK-bop I like it! I would love to own a Spetsnaz ballistic knife , though!
    ~Dean

German Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFW

Hi !

This is the 1963 pattern Bundeswehr-Fallmesser, or, -Kappmesser.
    It replaced the 1956 pattern gravity knife and it´s a copy of the 2nd pattern, (take-down version), gravity knife of the Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe.

makers:

WMF - Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik
    Carl Eickhorn, Solingen
    OFW - Otto Förster, Witzhelden

Bundeswehr gravity knife 1963 pattern

Rgds.,

R.

Sanman512
    ?

I have a German Bundeswehr gravity knife 1963 pattern with OFW on the blade. It would be perfect except when the blade is fully extended there is a small but noticeable wobble to it. However, if I retract the blade just tiny bit the blade is solid. The obvious question is....can this be fixed? If you have any ideas please respond as well to my email . Your help is greatly appreciated. Tom
    Last edited by rbminis; 07-15-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Hi, Tom !

Don´t worry ´bout that !

If the blade doesn´t wobble, somethin´ probably isn´t that OK !

Cheers,
    R.

Hi, mates,

I show you pretty nice pictures of a "Kappmesser der Luftlandetruppe der Bundeswehr Modell 1963" (M1963), (cord cutter knife of the Bundeswehr 1963 pattern), made by WMF, (Württembergische Metallwaren Fabrik), in 1972.
    As you know, the M1963 is a "successor" to the Fliegerkappmesser M1937, 2nd pattern, ("take down version") of the Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe.

These are not my pictures, but I may use and show them after consultation and after obtaining permission from the owner of the photos.

The three manufacturers have etched their respective manufacturer's logos onto the blades of the knives.
    But you can also find the logo of all three manufacturers on the blade, but also the respective year of manufacture underneath.

I assume that knives with the year of manufacture etched on the blade under the logo are probably later production and knives without the year of production of the knife (the blades) are from the earlier production of the M1963.
    But cannot verify this.

It is also interesting that the M1963 has three different versions of the handle and the Bundeswehr ownership stamp that have been made known so far.

In many places there is also the opinion that the M1963 was used exclusively in / by the airborne troops.
    However, there are statements by former members of the German Armed Forces that they were issued the M1963 by the Panzertruppe and the Panzergrenadiers.

The knives were issued in a cardboard box on which the stock number, (NSN):
    7340-12-140-1031
    underneath:
    MESSER, KAPP-,
    LL - TRUPPE
    1EA
    is printed.

One finds the "Kappmesser Luftlandetruppe Modell 1963" very often in almost unused condition.
    Many knives only show signs of storage.
    The M1963 is found less often with clear to very strong signs of use.
    This is (to me) a clear indication that the M1963 has probably mostly remained in the soldier's locker than that it was actually used in combat duty and exercises.

The knife I am showing you here has definitely not been used, just look at the "virgin" blade!
    Only traces of improper storage of the knife can be found on some parts of the knife, which was manufactured by WMF 50 years ago.

This is a piece of equipment that is much sought after by many collectors and was primarily a tool and was not designed as a weapon in the strict sense.

Maybe one of you has further information about the M1963 and would be able to add to the thread here?

Thanks in advance,
    R.
    German Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFW
    Last edited by Reibert; 11-27-2022 at 02:09 PM.

Some more images:
    German Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFW

Notice the wonderful crossgraining of the blade !
    Last edited by Reibert; 11-27-2022 at 02:30 PM.

BTW, also in the ÖBH / Österreichisches Bundesheer, (Austrian Armed Forces), the M1963 is in use at the Jagdkommando, (nicknamed, the "Snake Eaters"), and in the Jägerbataillon 25 and issued at the jumper courses.

What I noticed is:

In the book by Dieter Pohl
    "MESSER
    deutscher
    Spezialeinheiten
    "

On page 47, an M1963 from WMF is shown with only the manufacturer's logo etched on the blade and no year of production.
    The WMF manufacturer's logo is also stamped on the metal part on one of the two handle components over which the protective cap is placed/put on.

On the M1963 that I am showing here, on the blade of which not only the manufacturer's logo from WMF but also the year of manufacture is etched underneath, the manufacturer's logo is not stamped on the metal part under the protective cap !

If this WMF 72 is actually a "late" production series, the logo on the handle under the cap could have been dispensed with on knives produced later.

Second possibility:
    The blade and handle could have been mixed up among the soldiers at some point during service use in the Bundeswehr (possibly when cleaning the knives in the barracks after the "Gefechtsdienst" / combat duty / jump duty), since the knife components of the three manufacturers were compatible would have to be.
    German Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFWGerman Gravity Knife, OFW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast