Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German trench knife

Article about: Hi. I recently bought this German trench knife, manufacturer E & f Horster. It has all the characteristics of an original knife, but I can't find any information about this manufacturer

Default German trench knife

Hi. I recently bought this German trench knife, manufacturer E & f Horster. It has all the characteristics of an original knife, but I can't find any information about this manufacturer for this type of blade? Does anyone have any similar, or know something about it?German trench knife
    German trench knife
    German trench knife
    German trench knife

Photos not good, but looks to be WW1 era. Check out this thread...

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Thanks. I saw this topic, but found nothing about the manufacturer E & f Horster.

Moved to the correct section of the forum.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Default E. & F. Hörster

Greetings all,

E. & F. Hörster made both fixable bayonet models and non-fixable models of these bird's head styled knives during and after WWI. Depending how much one wished to spend (these were private purchase models), some were finished in the bright and some as the original poster's variant are finished in the dark. While I make no judgement on the scabbard due to the lack of detailed images (i.e. front & back), I have no reservations about the originality of the knife itself. Whether made during the war or up to 1937, I would not be able to determine.

If you desire more info on the company's history you can purchase this book and read more about it. If you intend to collect this particular field it really is a must German Knife and Sword Makers by J. Anthony Carter- Makers A to Z the Complete Fully Revised Edition – International Military Antiques militaria I would not recommend buying any knives from IMA without serious self-knowledge, yet the book is worth it's weight in gold.

Best,

V/r Lance

Although my example is made by Anton Wingen Jr., I have no concerns as to the authenticity of the one you posted.
    Ralph.

German trench knife
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thank you very much for the information. I am inserting more detailed photos. My doubt was because I had never seen another model made by the same manufacturer. I researched various topics and forums, and found none by E&F Horster. I didn't even know this manufacturer's spelling.

German trench knife
    German trench knife
    German trench knife
    German trench knife
    German trench knife

Thank you, for the additional images. Scabbard is fine and original. Typically, these web material hangers are post 1917 and cease being used shortly after the war as leather stocks were once again made available.

Best,

V/r Lance

Thank you very much for your information. My doubts were because I just found another model, from a local seller. The knife is exactly the same as the one I own, but in this the eagle's head is finished bright. I am negotiating to buy this other copy. I am happy to know that besides being original, it is characteristic of wwi or immediately afterwards.

German trench knife
    German trench knife
    German trench knife

beautiful knife.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast