Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identify Bayonet Please

Article about: Hello! Could anyone help me identifying this bayonet? I have looked on the Internet, but I have not found anything similar to it. I will give as much information as possible. Overall length

Space Celt
    ?

Question Help Identify Bayonet Please

Hello!
    Could anyone help me identifying this bayonet? I have looked on the Internet, but I have not found anything similar to it. I will give as much information as possible.

Overall length is: 14.5 inches from tip of the blade to the end of the knob on the end of the pommel.

The blade is 1 inch wide.

The bayonet seems to have hard (Bakelite) plastic grips.

At the bottom of the blade (left side) are the marking of a crown (?) and below it the letters: T A

At the bottom of the blade (right side) is a small oval.

On the right side of the cross guard are the markings: B 1 8 748

At the bottom of the ring mount for the muzzle, left rear side is the number: 8

Any information or assistance you could provide, such as: Country of origin, make and model, rarity and value, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Space Celt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identify Bayonet Please   Help Identify Bayonet Please  

Help Identify Bayonet Please   Help Identify Bayonet Please  

Help Identify Bayonet Please   Help Identify Bayonet Please  

Default Re: Help Identify Bayonet Please

Unusual. I would say late 1860's-1880's European. However, it will not be worth
    as much as a complete with scabbard bayonet, with no damage to the handle.

EDIT: It's an Austrian (first guess !) modification
    of an Italian Verletti, M1871. See the link below:

Austrian Modification of an Italian M1871 Vetterli w/s. [E082] - $295.00 : The Bayonet Connection, - Rare Bayonets from around the World
    Regards,

Steve.

Space Celt
    ?

Thank you very much!

My guess would be an Italian modification. They apparently modified many m1871 and 1871/87 ( same bayonet with shorter leaf spring... Yours would the longer variety or the m1871...) during WWI into knife bayonets. So that would make yours a m1871/87/16 I suppose.
    I just looked all of this up last month when I found one at an antique show. The reported value of $295 seems a bit too good to be true also as I got mine for $30. Or maybe I just got really lucky?

Pal
    Last edited by paladin1919; 06-16-2012 at 03:15 AM.

?

Default Revetterli bayonet with scabbard: Help Identify Bayonet Please

Hello There ,I also hve a vetterli bayonet ,i payed about £80 for it ,dont know if thats to much .But it was a case of Oooo i like that ,Heres a pic of it with a scabbard,regards Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identify Bayonet Please  

?

nice buy. Italian Vetterli-Vitali M1870. Shortened in ww1. Interesting thing about those: Italia was making trench knifes from the cut away part of the blade.

here is the uncouth one. Last of the sword-bayonets. £80 is a spot on price
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identify Bayonet Please  

Seems that these are listed as m1870 or m1871 depending upon upon the source? Anyone know which is correct?

?

the difference of 70 from 71 is a notch on crossguard. As most of shorten ones have the hook removed it's not possible to say which particular one it was so either way is correct.

here is one with brass handle (very unusual) but you can see the notch

Help Identify Bayonet PleaseHelp Identify Bayonet PleaseHelp Identify Bayonet PleaseHelp Identify Bayonet Please
    Quote by ph3s View Post
    nice buy. Italian Vetterli-Vitali M1870. Shortened in ww1. Interesting thing about those: Italia was making trench knifes from the cut away part of the blade.

Yes, the Italian, "M1916" fighting knife.