Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

help with this one please

Article about: Hello all, I received this in a lot of bayonets I purchased. Everything else seems to have a match with the exception of this piece. Can anyone please fill me in on what exactly I have here?

Default help with this one please

Hello all,

I received this in a lot of bayonets I purchased. Everything else seems to have a match with the exception of this piece. Can anyone please fill me in on what exactly I have here?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture help with this one please   help with this one please  

help with this one please   help with this one please  

Default Re: help with this one please

Hi William, it is an M1905 US Springfield Bayonet and M1910 scabbard. Nice buy. I used to own one many moons ago.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

It is a 1894 dated Krag bayonet with an early 1910 scabbard for the M1905 bayonet.
    Last edited by relicz; 04-06-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    Regards,
    John

Hello again,

So do these actually belong together?

Thanks for the positive ID. Any clue what it says on it?

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture help with this one please  

?

Strictly speaking, it would be regarded as a mismatched set - but the posibility exists that they were used together, perhaps in a NG or reserve unit. The stencil is likely a soldiers name.
    Regards,
    John

Thanks for that. Just so I am completely understanding, is a Krag bayonet different than a M1905 US Springfield, or are they just different terms for the same thing?

Sorry for all of the rookie questions, but I'm not too good with US stuff. I truly do appreciate the help and thank you for all of the information thus far.

William Kramer

?

The below photo helps illustrate the differences between the M1892 (Krag Bayonet) and the Model of 1905 bayonet. There are some variables and differences in finishes and scabbard design that correlate to year made and if reissued or not, but you should get the basic idea from the photo.

help with this one please
    Regards,
    John

?

At any rate, as Adrian said - it's a nice find, congrats.

Some additional info:
    The Springfield Edge: Knife & Bolo Bayonets
    Regards,
    John

Thanks
    guys!