Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Identification of bayonet

Article about: Identification of bayonet, and which intended weapons ?

SRB
    ?

Default Identification of bayonet

Identification of bayonet, and which intended weapons ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification of bayonet   Identification of bayonet  

Default Re: Identification of bayonet

Australian SLR bayonet

For the 7.62mm L1A1 Self Loading Rifle (SLR), a license produced version of the FN FAL used by many countries. Will also fit on the heavy barrel L2A1 Automatic Rifle (AR) version and the 9mm F1 SMG but rarely seen with these weapons.

Does the L2A1 not have that awfull big blast/recoil reducer much like the Boys AT rifle? I've seen some L2A1s over here in the UK with the L1A1 flash hider but I assumed these were bitsas as the bodies were marked L1A1.

m3bobby-no, it uses the same flash hider as the SLR-exactly why the army decided it needed to fix the bayo on it remains a mystery as indeed does its original purpose given the existence of the 7.62mm Bren conversion and the M60 GPMG in the inventory-they were little used in Regular service and in the late 70s/early 80s the Reserve used them as a training substitute when blank link was in short supply or in units that had other things to do than learn how to operate numbers of different weapons (Signals used them as a fire support type as when you learnt the SLR, the AR was then a breeze to use). Use of the same flash hider also means the same blank firing attachment is used for training on both types.

Identification of bayonet

The top one shows the item I'm thinking of, is this an additional item that can be fitted over the flash eliminater or does it replace it?

Gawd, that's an ugly looking bugger ain't it!

Hijacking the thread somewhat but that is not a service mod-as you stated prev that started out as a standard SLR not an AR. Note the many differences between the two...

I'm a little confused now, could the top one be a contract gun for Singapore, hence the different standard?

This one is a Singapore Police Force gun with matching upper and lower marked L2A1 but has the normal L1 sight and that big recoil reducer. I'm glad I didn't buy one when I had the chance as sods law dictates I'd buy a mix and match.

Fantastic Deactivated L2A1