Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Identification Einheitssäbel Wehrmacht - have a look

Article about: Hi Guys, Please take a look at my new "Einheitssäbel" uniform saber. He's from the Wehrmacht or Reichswehr? Handle of bakelite and metal cords. A simple "Einheitssäbel"?

Default Identification Einheitssäbel Wehrmacht - have a look

Hi Guys,
    Please take a look at my new "Einheitssäbel" uniform saber.
    He's from the Wehrmacht or Reichswehr? Handle of bakelite and metal cords. A simple "Einheitssäbel"? When was he made?
    The manufacturer is a picture with a (knight with helmet) I do not know the name - please help.
    Unfortunately I did not find other markers ;-(

Thank you very much
    Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification Einheitssäbel Wehrmacht - have a look   Identification Einheitssäbel Wehrmacht - have a look  

Identification Einheitssäbel Wehrmacht - have a look   Identification Einheitssäbel Wehrmacht - have a look  

Identification Einheitssäbel Wehrmacht - have a look   Identification Einheitssäbel Wehrmacht - have a look  

Identification Einheitssäbel Wehrmacht - have a look  

another thing: is the chipping on the blade normal? What is that layer on the surface?

Maker is Weyersburg, Kirschbaum & Cie, and based on the "twin head" trade mark, was made before the end of WW1 (1918). So made during Imperial era. You say the grip is made of bakelite. I'll take your word for that, but it appears not to be a great fit. So I suspect the grip was replaced with the bakelite grip during the Weimar Reichswehr period. If the grip is original to the sabre, then it could have been made sometime after 1910. The trade mark was first used in 1883-1918 so that gives you a time frame, bakelite was invented in 1909. The blade had has a nickle plating.

Thank you very much, I thought the bakelite handles were only installed in World War II.
    Then my saber comes from the Weimar Republic or from the Kaiserzeit - WW1?

Some WW1 era swords did have bakelite grips. Your sword is Imperial era made, used likely into the Weimar period. I say that because the fitting of the bakelite grip would be better if made with that grip in place. Hence my suggestion the grip was replaced (original probably damaged) post WW1.

Thanks a lot

Hi Guys,
    Yesterday I talked to the boss of "Weyersberg, Kirschbaum". He said it can also be a wooden handle covered with plastic.
    In fact, I saw the wood last night (photo).
    So it's all original and a wooden handle with plastic.
    Produced from 1883 to 1918?

Is this a saber for the simple soldier?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification Einheitssäbel Wehrmacht - have a look