Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting Dagger......?

Article about: Greetings again to all. I finally got some more pics to add... Also, this weighs in at 420 grams. Or 14.8 ounces. Heavier than I thought! Best Regards, Freefall

Smile Interesting Dagger......?

Greetings to all! I had a few questions concerning a dagger that I aquired not to long ago. My apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum. This seems to be the best place to at least start. This is supposed to be a 17th century german dagger or short sword that was from the "Thirty years war" between germany and poland (1618-1648) time frame. I guess a few questions that come to mind are, 1) Does anyone recognize this dagger as being from this period? 2) How does one know if this is genuine? 3) Any idea of a value on this? I have provided some pics. This measures aprox 14 inches,from tip to tip. And the handle is copper weave or wound. Lots of patina on the metal. May or may not have been cleaned at some point. There are no markings or stamps any where that I can find on this. I value any and everyone's thoughts and opinions on this! Best Regards, freefall
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Dagger......?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Interesting Dagger......?  Interesting Dagger......? 

?

Default Re: Interesting Dagger......?

Hi freefall, very nice looking short sword or "dagger", unknown to me if real or authentic but may i suggest that much closer shots of all the interesting points be taken as this will aid the members in the know to make opinions, regards dave

Quote by davejb View Post
    Hi freefall, very nice looking short sword or "dagger", unknown to me if real or authentic but may i suggest that much closer shots of all the interesting points be taken as this will aid the members in the know to make opinions, regards dave
    Thanks for the reply! As soon as I can get the camera batteries charged up, I'll see if I can do any better!

Here's a better pic of the handle......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Dagger......?  
    Last edited by freefall; 02-13-2011 at 07:53 AM.

I hope I'm not raining on your parade, freefall, particularly as this isn't my field, but for a Thirty Years War item this is in unbelievably good condition.

Any legit stuff from that period is locked away in well-funded museums.

But I hope I'mn wrong and you have a gem. Let's hear what the experts have to say.

Cheers,

Pat

Hello-I would agree with Patgore-anything that old would be very pricey if genuine and in anything like that condition-could be a replica made in the 19th century as a display piece for the rich-also possibly a film prop (which would give it another type of value) but anything 400 years old should have provenance of ownership.

Thanks for the replies! Please keep them coming. I wish I had some document or paperwork to refer to on this, but I don't. Just the Dagger. I was thinking about maybe having it "carbon-dated." Anybody have any experience with this process? Regards, Freefall

I think carbon-dating only works on carbon-containing items (wood). Your dagger seems to be all metal.

I know techniques have improved, but I'm not sure carbon-dating would be accurate enough to be really helpful....if it could be used.

I'd suggest you check out your nearest big-city museum or a major auction house like Sotheby. Museum curators are often helpful/knowledgeable, and big league auctioneers have to be very accurate re identification and dating.

Hope this help[s.

Pat

?

not sure,but pretty sure its not that old.! maybe 1850 s on up age wise ?hope iam wrong.?

The dagger as got some potential to be genuine to me, at least some parts does.
    Difficult to tell from a picture, one should be able to see and feel it; in order to check on weight and balance among other things.
    But if one would copy a late mediaval dagger, why would he copy such a , more or less, ordinary one.
    Don't get me wrong I do not want to be rude, when speaking of an "ordinary" dagger.
    It could also be that it was a more elaborated dagger that got addapted/ ajusted after some battle dammage.
    Again like I said , verry difficult to tell from a distance.
    cheers
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast