MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Bayonet for review

Article about: Hello, I bought this Japanese bayonet about 10 years ago from a local collector at a time when they were hard to locate in my neck of the woods and probably paid a little too much for it. I'

?

Default Japanese Bayonet for review

Hello,

I bought this Japanese bayonet about 10 years ago from a local collector at a time when they were hard to locate in my neck of the woods and probably paid a little too much for it. I'm in the process of photographing all my items and thought I would post it for opinions. I'm interested if anyone can date it from the pommel markings. The collector seemed to think that the frog was original but it seems way too new to me.

Thanks
    Alex
    Japanese Bayonet for reviewJapanese Bayonet for reviewJapanese Bayonet for reviewJapanese Bayonet for reviewJapanese Bayonet for reviewJapanese Bayonet for reviewJapanese Bayonet for reviewJapanese Bayonet for reviewJapanese Bayonet for reviewJapanese Bayonet for review

Hi Alex, its a nice bayonet but the photos are all too small, we want to see nice big high resolution pictures. However, I suspect that the frog is indeed a reproduction but bigger pictures are needed to be sure.

?

Looks like a nice Variation A Toyko arsenal bayonet, The frog is a reproduction IMO due to the lack of wear and studs on each side of the buckle.

?

Sorry about the photos, I'm still a bit new at this and they are from an iPhone. Hope these turn out better.

Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Bayonet for review   Japanese Bayonet for review  

Japanese Bayonet for review   Japanese Bayonet for review  

Japanese Bayonet for review   Japanese Bayonet for review  

Japanese Bayonet for review  

?

a very common Japanese bayonet frog is a repo for sure its original

?

I can't date it by the serial number, but it is an early variation "A", probably early to mid 30's. As has already been stated, the frog is a reproduction, right look wrong construction.

Jim

?

Thanks guys. I did find a web page a few years ago that had a way of dating them via the pommel symbols but I can't find it again. I'd forgotten that I'd posted this one it was so long ago.

MAP
    ?

Most of the info you need has been stated. But I also use this link on occasion.

Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Like has been said, common bayou, but in what appears to be absolute beautiful condition! The blueing is great. All the ones that I find are rusted with no blueing.

?

Thanks Doug. When I first bought it there was a little bit of active rust on the blade but I managed to neutralise it before it caused any big damage.