Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

KNIL Socket Bayonet

Article about: Here's my first socket bayonet. It's for the first time i got this. Although lack the locking ring, but for \\$ 20 it's really a bargain. Anyway i don't find any marking in here. But i think i

Lightbulb KNIL Socket Bayonet

Here's my first socket bayonet. It's for the first time i got this. Although lack the locking ring, but for $ 20 it's really a bargain.
    Anyway i don't find any marking in here. But i think it's used whether by the KNIL or by the kraton army.
    KNIL Socket Bayonet
    KNIL Socket Bayonet
    KNIL Socket Bayonet
    KNIL Socket Bayonet
    KNIL Socket Bayonet
    KNIL Socket Bayonet
    KNIL Socket Bayonet
    KNIL Socket Bayonet
    KNIL Socket Bayonet
    KNIL Socket Bayonet
    KNIL Socket Bayonet

I like to pick up socket bayonets when they are cheap enough and I think you got a bargain. I could be wrong but it looks to me like either a Swedish M1860 socket bayonet, or one of the mid- 19th century Russian socket bayonets. I have a couple that are similar that I haven't been able to identify them 100%. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Nice find! Im no expert on bayonets, but it looks to me like an American M1840 or M1842 ??

This might be a good candidate for electrolysis to remove the rust and see if there are any markings underneath?

I have just been having a look trying to compare my bayonets and yours to try an identify them and came across this site: M1867 Snidergeweer

Given where your bayonet came from, I think the Dutch M1867 for the Snider Rifle is a very strong contender. Cheers.

Think you may be spot on there mate.
    Can we get some measurements as that will help.

Quote by earlymb View Post
    This might be a good candidate for electrolysis to remove the rust and see if there are any markings underneath?
    When i have enough fund, i'll clean this up asap.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I have just been having a look trying to compare my bayonets and yours to try an identify them and came across this site: M1867 Snidergeweer

Given where your bayonet came from, I think the Dutch M1867 for the Snider Rifle is a very strong contender. Cheers.
    I think so too.
    But i'm still curious about the pre snider rifle bayonet e.g. dutch percussion rifle bayonet. Is the shape the same with the snider bayonet? Unfortunately, i still can't find any picture of that pre snider rifle bayonet in the internet.
    Although after digging up my old photos, i found some bayonet photos during my visit in the palace museum a decade ago.
    KNIL Socket BayonetKNIL Socket BayonetKNIL Socket BayonetKNIL Socket BayonetKNIL Socket BayonetKNIL Socket Bayonet

As you can see the shape is really similar. And this bayonet is still attached on the percussion modified flintlock musket. I guess pre Snider bayonet shape is the same with the snider made one?

Quote by bananamafia View Post
    Think you may be spot on there mate.
    Can we get some measurements as that will help.
    Here's the measurement.
    KNIL Socket Bayonet
    KNIL Socket Bayonet

In the link I posted it did say that this bayonet would also fit on the earlier M1815 and M1848 muskets as well as the Snider Rifle.

Quote by feldgrau33 View Post
    When i have enough fund, i'll clean this up asap.
    Electrolysis is easy and cheap; see 1943 British machete, US made for a description how I used it to clean a machete.

?

I had a 65 cal. for a while

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast