Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

L1A2 for the SLR L1A1 Aussie in NAM ?

Article about: Hi mates ! Was the Autralian L1A2 bayonet carried in VIETNAM ? overall lenght: 290 mm blade lenght: 190 mm Thx. in advance, R.

Question

Another question:

Does the Aussie L1A2 bayonet fit the british made L1A1 FN-FAL SLR and/or the belgian manufactured FN-FAL rifle ? ...

Thx. in advance,
    R.

Australian and British bayonets are definately interchangeable as both are manufactured in Imperial measurements. Not sure abot the Belgian or other european FN rifles which would be metric. Certainly things like screws and rifle parts etc generally don't fit the Imperial models.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thumbs up

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Australian and British bayonets are definately interchangeable as both are manufactured in Imperial measurements. ...
    Thx. a lot, Mark !

Best regards,
    R.

Should also be noted that the bayo fitted on the Australian F1 SMG as used in Vietnam (in the same way that the British equivalent bayo was used with the Stirling SMG). Also fitted on the Australian L2A1 'Automatic Rifle' heavy barrel support version SLR but I would doubt any one ever did fix it on the weapon unless out of bored curiosity.

Some mor Aussie L1A2 bayonets there:
    Australian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & Long

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Our National Museum in Canberra has a great division exhibit to our involvement , These shots are only a part of it We are really only a small country
    I have had the privilege of touring that museum. Very enjoyable and sobering experience.

I have also been in Oz on a couple of occasions when the ANZAC Day celebrations were underway. The national pride in the Australian military heritage is 'throat lumping'. Great country. Great people. Great military heritage. Never equate numbers with performance.

Default Hope it's Australian

My bayonet has no markings that I am able to find. Hope it's Australian. I would enjoy that very much.

Cannot compare it to others, as far as fuller size or width of the blade. I'll take it on faith that it is Australian. The scabbard is well used, however the bayonet is mint and is covered in a light grease. Guess it was carried much and not used.

L1A2 Bayonet : Lance Corporal T W Lupton, 1 Battalion Royal Australian Regiment | Australian War Memorial

L1A2 Bayonet : Lance Corporal T W Lupton, 1 Battalion Royal Australian Regiment

Description

The L1A2 bayonet features a single edge Bowie style blade with twin fullers. The blade is made from carbon steel and has a one piece crossguard with a barrel ring attached. The metal grips are attached by two cross studs which go through the tang of the blade. There is a bird beak pommel which has a spring loaded metal press stud designed to lock the knife to the bayonet lug. The blade has a satin blued finnish. There are no markings on the blade.

History / Summary

The L1A2 bayonet was the standard bayonet used by the Australian Army on the L1A1 rifle and the F1 submachine gun during the 1960-1980 period. This bayonet was issued to Lance Corporal Thomas William Lupton who served with 13 Platoon, C Company, 1 Royal Australian Regiment from June 1965 to June 1966 while on a tour of duty in Vietnam.

source:

L1A2 Bayonet : Lance Corporal T W Lupton, 1 Battalion Royal Australian Regiment | Australian War Memorial

Reibert - a beautifully presented set of pics - thank you for making the effort to present them in such a way.

Never seen an australian bayonett before, thanks for showing! Facinating how much they resemble german ones.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast