Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Lithgow P1907 bayonet marked for South African Police (SAP)

Article about: Hello all Recently picked up this 1942 Lithgow made P1907 bayonet for the South African Police (SAP). This is a rarity as it appears custom made for the SAP. It has S.A.P. and broad arrow ma

?

Default Lithgow P1907 bayonet marked for South African Police (SAP)

Hello all

Recently picked up this 1942 Lithgow made P1907 bayonet for the South African Police (SAP). This is a rarity as it appears custom made for the SAP. It has S.A.P. and broad arrow marked within U on pommel. It doesn't have the Lithgow inspectors marks on the blade or rifle serial number on the pommel which is standard for the Lithgow bayonets of this period. I could be wrong but I don't think the scabbard is original as its Orange made with Mangrovite 43 leather.

Any comments welcome

Alex
    Lithgow P1907 bayonet marked for South African Police (SAP)Lithgow P1907 bayonet marked for South African Police (SAP)Lithgow P1907 bayonet marked for South African Police (SAP)Lithgow P1907 bayonet marked for South African Police (SAP)Lithgow P1907 bayonet marked for South African Police (SAP)Lithgow P1907 bayonet marked for South African Police (SAP)

I dont these were made specifically for the S.A police..1942 was a time of full war production, with the Japanese bearing down on New Guinea..these were used for some time after the war in SA..The markings seem consistent with that period, ill have a better look tomorrow

?

I unfortunately don't have another 42 Lithgow on hand but these are the markings from a 41 which are not present on the 42 SAP. Not 100% sure on the inspection marks being present later but the rifle serial numbers are definitely still marked on the 42 Orange bayonets.
    Rifle serial number

7 over L inspection marks

?

may i ask a stupid question?

is "7 over L inspection marks" a term for the DoD broadarrow? is that how they made them, or how they make fake ones?

excuse my lack of knowledge.

?

If you look at the bottom row of markings on the last picture there is what looks like a small crown over a 7 over a L, a X and MA. The crown over 7 over L is the individual stamp of an inspector within Lithgow.