Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Carbine Clone Bayonet (US-M4)

Article about: Greetings all, A few years ago I picked up this odd M1 carbine clone bayonet. At the time of purchase, the features and price on the bayo were such contrast to an original US, I assumed it w

Default M1 Carbine Clone Bayonet (US-M4)

Greetings all,

A few years ago I picked up this odd M1 carbine clone bayonet. At the time of purchase, the features and price on the bayo were such contrast to an original US, I assumed it was a modern reproduction. Since then I have discovered a few things and thought I would share as there is not a lot of information out there. This bayonet was apparently made by Carl Eickhorn in the 1970's. The blade is some sort of bright or stainless steel The tang is marked 'US M4'. The one-piece grip appears to be moulded directly to the tang; and the solid pommel is attached to the tang with a Phillips head machine screw (these factors all indicate Eickhorn).

Eickhorn manufactured these clones for both the civilian and military market. The company also exported these to some nations (that still issued M1's at this time) such as Israel and South America. I have never been able to discover what particular model this one is. My gut tells me civilian/commercial. Does anyone have any more info on these German (US bayonet) clones? Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Carbine Clone Bayonet (US-M4)   M1 Carbine Clone Bayonet (US-M4)  

M1 Carbine Clone Bayonet (US-M4)   M1 Carbine Clone Bayonet (US-M4)  

M1 Carbine Clone Bayonet (US-M4)  

Greetings Chris,

Here's a similar marked one on the very bottom of this page Bayo Points 4

Regards,

Lance

?

'Civilian bayonet' - kind of a funny oxymoron.

Not dissing the OP nor disputing, but merely pointing out an ironic phrase.

Nice bayo. From what I gather, commercial bayos were made under the Eickhorn brand name.

?

I don"t know if there is any way to tell the difference between commercial and military. I would think there would be some kind of acceptance markings for a military bayo, but I don't know if that is true of the countries who imported it. I don't even know if there is a list of countries somewhere who did import it.

As an interesting side note Eickhorn also produced an M5A1, M6 and 4 different M7 models for export.

Jim

Some of these Variations were sent to Vietnam and exported to foreign militaries. Some were made in other countries for imported carbines. I have not seen a "commercial" carbine bayonet before. This one appears to be a foreign made one. Just by the quality in workmanship. But you have to understand that they were made for only one purpose. I know the Germans made an M16 bayonet and they were such good quality that they were very Sought after. You could tell by the solid green handles on these.
    Just my thoughts this morning.....

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Many thanks for the comments and great info gentlemen - always much appreciated