Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with German Bayonet markings/stamps

Article about: Hey guys I have a bayonet and wanted some info on markings etc. I have been looking at some information and gathered that it is a German M1898/05 butcher blade bayonet from 1916. On the back

Default Need help with German Bayonet markings/stamps

Hey guys I have a bayonet and wanted some info on markings etc. I have been looking at some information and gathered that it is a German M1898/05 butcher blade bayonet from 1916.

On the back of the blade it has a crown with a 'W' underneath, and a 16 underneath that. I've gathered this means 1916, but what does the crown and 'W' mean? On one side of the blade, it has 'Carl Eickhorn' and 'Solingen' stamped on. Solingen is a city in Germany, so i'm assuming that's where it was made? Lastly, on the bayonet near the hand guard/hook looking thing, there is a '41' stamped on. Any clue as to what this means?

Also, on the opening end of the scabbard and on the ball at the end, there is some sort of marking/stamp. Is this an inspection mark or something similar?

Thanks
    Need help with German Bayonet markings/stampsNeed help with German Bayonet markings/stampsNeed help with German Bayonet markings/stampsNeed help with German Bayonet markings/stamps

SRB
    ?

W is for the Kaiser - Wilhelm-http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Germany__Imperial_/Germany_Imperial_2.html

Imperial crown but 41 may be a reissue date for use in ww2.

?

41 is a serial or inventory number, S98/05nA,no signs of using in WW2.b.r.Andy

Quote by AusA380 View Post
    Solingen is a city in Germany, so i'm assuming that's where it was made?
    Yep, dead right

Solingen was and is still a very significant location in the German knife / cutley / blade industry. Just like Sheffield in England and Toledo in Spain

Many military blades were made there and the modern Bundeswehr still sources knives from Solingen production. Eickhorn, which means "acorn" hence the squirrel (eichornschen in German) logo has long been a major manufacturer still in business today.

Great bayonet by the way

I hope this helps

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hello,

yes, such a stamp is not uncommon... they exist two-digit until four-digit. This is an internal Registration number insted of a unit-mark. This way of registration was made until the 1.WW.

The bayonet bears no signs of a using after 1918. But they can by used by a Frei-Korps or be a stock of the so called "Schwarze Reichswehr".
    But there is no proof... only a maybe.

Regards

?

Some info
    German Bayonets used 1914-1945

Marking on Spine of Blade:

Prussia (P) Crown over "W" for King Wilhelm I, 1861-1888
    Crown over "W" for King Wilhelm II, 1888-1918
    Regards,
    John