Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help! ID'ing a Sword

Article about: I just picked up this sword. I believe it is a French artillery sword, but I cant find an exact match anywhere. Others I've seen are wider like a gladiator sword and are marked. This blade i

Default Need Help! ID'ing a Sword

I just picked up this sword. I believe it is a French artillery sword, but I cant find an exact match anywhere. Others I've seen are wider like a gladiator sword and are marked. This blade is flat with no markings. About 25" total length. Any help on model number would be appreciated. THANKS!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help! ID'ing a Sword   Need Help! ID'ing a Sword  

Need Help! ID'ing a Sword  
    Attached Images Attached Images Need Help! ID'ing a Sword 

Hello,

I am certainly not an expert on early French swords. You may well be on the right track with your ideas on being of European origin. There are a couple of issues I have with this example being French though; namely the blade just doesn't look right, is it just the blurry pic, or is there no sign of a fuller at all? There were a few different styles of blade fullers on these hangers, but I can not see one at all on your example. It may also be a touch longer (and thinner as you say) than the French pattern blade which is normally no longer than 19''. It may be just the bad pics, but the blade appears newer and shinier than military blades I have seen and own from the early to mid 19th century. Finally the French were fanatical in regards to armory marking and inspection stamping their standard issue weapons. The fact there is nothing on this is indeed strange.

I could well be wrong, but my assumptions are that this is an old repro of a French example or an original short sword from another nation/army. Could well be a US civil war era weapon, but I know very little about US/Confederate weaponry.

These are just my thoughts. I hope someone more knowledgeable can help.

Kind regards,
    Chris

Thanks for the info. You are correct, there is no fuller. The blade is fairly thin with no markings whatsoever. I was leaning towards and older repop myself. Definetly not a newer job. Although the older guy I bought it from was adamant that his uncle "brought it home from the war" but you know how much stories are worth sometimes. Tom

?

Possibly a fraternal organization sword.

Reminds me of the Danish M1854, but the scabbard is all wrong and these swords are all marked.....
    https://www.arma-dania.dk/public/tim...hp?editid1=128

Best
    HB

?

Hello
    could be a 1833 or 1855 french Infantry sword, but wrong scabbard.....
    what are the stamps ? please
    cordially
    Didier

No stamps or marks of any kind that I can see.

Check out Bandsmen sidearms. It looks very similar to those worn by musicians!