Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

No_6 knife

Article about: Hello all. I picked up this knife today at a estate sale. I have been researching this knife all day but still can't find any information of the knife. The over all length of the knife is ju

Default No_6 knife

Hello all. I picked up this knife today at a estate sale. I have been researching this knife all day but still can't find any information of the knife. The over all length of the knife is just under 14.5 inches. The knife is marked No_6 with some lettering and numbers below, but they are just barley visible with a 30x Magnifier. I can make out "18", so I do not know if it is a date or a unit? I don't know if this is even a military knife or not. The sheath has no markings, nor does the hilt. The blade is in pretty bad shape, it looks like someone used some kind of chemical to "clean" it. Looking at the knife it seems to have a different hilt on it, the rust pattern is the opposite from what the crossguard is. I want to thank you for reading my post, and your thoughts!

No_6 knife
    No_6 knife
    No_6 knife

From Alex

Default Re: No_6 knife

It appears to be a 'Theater-made' knife. The blade is commercial,
    (early 1900's/1910's ?) while the handle looks home-made.
    The sheath is likely a more recent custom hand-made
    addition to the set.

It's entirely possible that the blade has been
    fashioned from an old file.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thank you for respond Steve! I was not looking that way. Thanks for the heads up!

From Alex

?

I've seen British blades marked No.6 is it possible the blade is british made

Thank you for your reply, the only No.6 marked blade that I have seen today is a small multi-tool blade.

From Alex

Quote by gel65 View Post
    I've seen British blades marked No.6 is it possible the blade is british made
    I wonder if it's anything to do with Joseph Rodgers? They were from No.6 Norfolk Street, Sheffield.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No_6 knife  

Thank you for your post. I have never heard of Joseph Rodgers. I'll look into it.

From Alex

Quote by shortbuss55 View Post
    Thank you for your post. I have never heard of Joseph Rodgers. I'll look into it.

From Alex
    Joseph Rodgers were one of the very well known Sheffield knifemakers. They usually marked their stuff with their name and their trademark which was a star and a maltese cross. I wondered if maybe the No.6 was a play on their address of No.6 Norfolk Street and they maybe supplied blades or made knives for someone else but rather than put their name on it just put a No.6??? Pure speculation and guesswork on my part but all I could think of?

Have a look at this thread here...
    It might be an answer to the question?

I would agree with the theory that the No. 6 makes it a British blade. I too have seen them with it on.