Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

old Dutch bayonet or fighting knife for id

Article about: good morning, can anyone identify this bayonet that I have, in apparently unissued condition, the hilt suggests a bayonet but the blade a fighting knife. the photos show the various markings

Default old Dutch bayonet or fighting knife for id

good morning, can anyone identify this bayonet that I have, in apparently unissued condition, the hilt suggests a bayonet but the blade a fighting knife. the photos show the various markings, one on the blade looks to be Dutch (?). I've never seen anything like it before, and, as I have to sell it on behalf of the family of a deceased friend, what its value might be.
    any help appreciated
    thanks, Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture old Dutch bayonet or fighting knife for id   old Dutch bayonet or fighting knife for id  

old Dutch bayonet or fighting knife for id   old Dutch bayonet or fighting knife for id  

Hello Dave,

This is a Dutch bayonet, used by the colonial army (KNIL) in the Netherlands East Indies (now Indonesia). This bayonet fitted rifles as well as most carbines.

Nice looking bayonet. You will get a good price. Here in The Netherlands you could fetch Euro 150,- I think. But don't take my word for it. I am not an experienced bayonet collector.

By the way; look for markings on the scabbard. If they match those on the bayonet, it increases the overall value.

Cheers,
    Emile

M1895 "KNIL"

Default M1895 "KNIL" Bayonet

Greetings Dave,

Bayonet is a M1895 "KNIL" Bayonet (KNIL = Royal Netherlands East Indies Army) manufactured by Oesterreichische Waffenfabriks Gesellschaft, Steyr (of Austria). See here M1895 "KNIL" I don't discuss values of posted items as then, that's all we get here are folks who wish/desire free evaluations for simply saying "thank you" & "please." And that's when they even bother to do that.

You may simply review past eBay's sales now that you know the bayonet's nomenclature.

Best,

V/r Lance

P.S. Oops too slow, Emile beat me to it

many thanks Emile, a very quick response! Thats very helpful. You could all get fed up with me as I have been handed over 400 bayonets to sell and my knowledge of these things is fairly basic.

best wishes, Dave

OK Lance, Austrian made, thank you for all that - I'm a lot wiser already!

best wishes, Dave