Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

One of My 1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonets

Article about: Here is some shots of one of my !907 Pattern bayonets with hooked Quillion. I was made in Enfield in Feb 1911. The hook quillion was designed to break your opponents bayonet in a bayonet fig

Default One of My 1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonets

Here is some shots of one of my !907 Pattern bayonets with hooked Quillion.
    I was made in Enfield in Feb 1911.
    The hook quillion was designed to break your opponents bayonet in a bayonet fight but was proved to be inneffective and an order was given in 1913 that it should be removed.
    India and Australia continued to manufacture the hook quillion India 1914 and Australia 1915.

There is no clearing hole on this bayonet (never seen one on any hook quillion)
    and the cypher is for Edward VII although he died in 1910.
    It is Regimentally stamped on the pommel to Ist Battalion the Middlesex Regiment.

Regards

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture One of My 1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonets   One of My 1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonets  

One of My 1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonets   One of My 1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonets  

One of My 1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonets   One of My 1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonets  

One of My 1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonets  

Default Re: One of My 1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonets

Nice bayonet. They, in a way, were very elegant.

They do look nice on a rifle. If you look at my hobby room photos in collections you will see it on one of my SMLE's.

Regards

Jim

I've been thinking of purchasing one of these but I'm worried about getting ripped off (Many are on Internet sites) with a fake, or a original bayonet with a replica quillion added. Any way of checking?

ATB, Chris.

Hello Chris,
    Look at origional ones and compare. Take photos of any you are thinking of purchasing looking closely at the hook to see if there is any sign of brazing etc.
    Dates are important as well. Bayonets dated after 1913 (British) are wrong. Quillion removed in 1913.
    I have not yet seen one with a clearing hole but that does not mean they don't exist,
    I will post some more photos of my other two one is in a MkI scabbard.

regards

Jim

Rolando
    ?

Hi Jim, I have a 1913 bayonette with a hooked quillion I inherit from my grandfather.

You can see some picts I put in my site when I was trying to know where it was made and it's history. HERE

Cheers,

Rolando José

Hello-nice bayo-the P07 was modelled on the Arisaka rifle bayo-the Japanese kept hook quillons until the end of WW2 but they were always much more 'hand to hand' obsessed than other armies of the period.
    PS =There were a number of hook P07 bayos made for the film 'Gallipoli' here in the late 70s-they're now quite collectable 'movie prop' militaria!

?

Although not really good at breaking other bayonets, i believe a lot of tommies used the quillion for hanging their shaving mirrors on or lanterns

Hi Jim,
    Thats a really nice example,particularly the royal stamp.Great thread,iv just browsed the rest of your collection as suggested.Really impressive. Wow!