Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Please help ID this Bayonet

Article about: Hi! I picked this up at a local auction recently, but I'm not familiar with it. Does anyone recognize this Bayonet? Any opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Please help ID this Bayonet

Hi!

I picked this up at a local auction recently, but I'm not familiar with it. Does anyone recognize this Bayonet?

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help ID this Bayonet   Please help ID this Bayonet  

Please help ID this Bayonet   Please help ID this Bayonet  

Please help ID this Bayonet   Please help ID this Bayonet  

Default Re: Please help ID this Bayonet

Hello-your bayonet appears to be a Mauser 'Ersatz' (substitute) pattern for the G98 rifle made during WW1. There are many types of these war emergency production bayonets and values vary with their relative rarity-you would need someone who is a dedicated collector for advice on that.

THANK YOU!!! I did a search for what you suggested & it certainly does look like several I've now seen. It would make sense too, as this was purchased along with a German WW1 Helmet. Thanks again!!

The bayonet is a WW1 German ersatz that was modified and reissued by the Turks. They shortened the blade to 10" from the original 12" and the scabbard is typical Turkish as is the serial number on the crossguard.

?

Quote by oldfireman View Post
    The bayonet is a WW1 German ersatz that was modified and reissued by the Turks. They shortened the blade to 10" from the original 12" and the scabbard is typical Turkish as is the serial number on the crossguard.
    That was my point as well - this is turkish version and it contains shortened german ersatz bayo with turkish-made scabbard