Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pls help to identify strange Bayo

Article about: could it be a Murrata? These were often cut down and used as trainers by the Japanese before and during WW11

?

Default Pls help to identify strange Bayo

Gentlemen, question to your knowledge / experience:

- on the each photo below - what is it in the middle (between japanese and anglosaxon bayonets)??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pls help to identify strange Bayo   Pls help to identify strange Bayo  

Pls help to identify strange Bayo   Pls help to identify strange Bayo  

Default Re: Pls help to identify strange Bayo

It is also a Japanese type 30. These came with both straight and hooked quillions.

Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    It is also a Japanese type 30. These came with both straight and hooked quillions.

Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II

Cheers, Ade.
    pls notice that handle does not fit at all Arisaka rifle because:

- it is 1cm longer than handle of arisaka bayo
    - muzzle ring is bigger than in arisaka
    - re-issued handle measures are identical to fit british Enfield family of rifles

I agree that this bayo was produced as arisaka... But after rework it has only arisaka´s blade and scabbard but new handle does not fits Arisaka rifle anymore. But new handle fits perfectly to Ross Enfield

?

Probably some kind of middle east rework?
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Probably some kind of middle east rework?
    cold, gentlemen, very cold...

I know the answer but I´ll let some time for you to guess / propose something

Ah, OK, so this is a quiz and not you actually asking for help...

The British Army bought Arisaka rifles in WW1 from Japan. That much I do know. So how about a bayonet purchased by Great Britiain from Japan in WW1 for use on Lee Enfield rifles?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Well, gents, - here is an answer on Arisaka bayo with Enfield-matching handle

1) In 1920-ies young Estonian Republic had a lot Russian Mossin, Japan Arisaka and Canadian-made Ross-Enfield rifles. Mossin`s came from former tzsarist Russia, Arisaka´s were supplied by Japan to Russia as well and Ross-Enfield´s were supplied to Russian NothWest white army

2) Estonian army decided to standardize both Mossin and Enfield rifles, but Arisaka´s to be phased out

3) Received via beaten Russian white army Enfield rifles were mainly lacking bayonets. At the same time there was a lot of Arisaka bayos in stock

4) Decision was made to use Arisaka bayos to equip Ross-Enfield rifles. In 1923 re-working of 8 550 Arisaka bayos for Enfield rifles in Estonian State Arsenal was ordered

So, gents - the strange bayo I was asking your opinion about is Estonian bayonet not listed in any written or internet source I have seen...

Sorry me for checking your knowlidge but actually I was looking for some confirmation to that information I already had (and explained here).
    Also I hope you are agree - this is nice that even such a informed collectors as here, in this forum, sometimes has to discover something completely new and unknown before.

?

The theory could be real, problem is that the piece is blued, which WW1 are not, same as the grips and screws are very rough, dont look like a ofiicial rework to me.

?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    The theory could be real, problem is that the piece is blued, which WW1 are not, same as the grips and screws are very rough, dont look like a ofiicial rework to me.
    Piece might be blued afterwards by some collector - for example?

Roughness of grips and screws - actually there is no examples on quality of that kind of work from young Estonian State Arsenal at this time... So it might be quite rough.

?

After WW1 the Wermeir Republic used reissued M98/05's that were blued . Maybe it was blued during the rework?????????
    Just guessing here!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast