Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Russian M1891 Bayonet in German/ Austrian Scabbard?

Article about: Hi all. I picked this up from a car boot sale of all places. I purchased it as A) I cannot remember when I last saw an M1891 in Britain and B) I have never seen one with a scabbard. I cannot

Default Russian M1891 Bayonet in German/ Austrian Scabbard?

Hi all. I picked this up from a car boot sale of all places. I purchased it as A) I cannot remember when I last saw an M1891 in Britain and B) I have never seen one with a scabbard. I cannot see any Finnish markings and the scabbard does not appear to be the Finnish type. I appears to be related more closely to those produced by the Germans, or possibly Austrians for use with captured bayonets. Thought it might be of interest here as it is certainly of interest to me. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian M1891 Bayonet in German/ Austrian Scabbard?   Russian M1891 Bayonet in German/ Austrian Scabbard?  

Russian M1891 Bayonet in German/ Austrian Scabbard?   Russian M1891 Bayonet in German/ Austrian Scabbard?  

Russian M1891 Bayonet in German/ Austrian Scabbard?   Russian M1891 Bayonet in German/ Austrian Scabbard?  

Russian M1891 Bayonet in German/ Austrian Scabbard?  

?

Agree with German origin of this scabbard.

There are lot of different scabbards for this socket as well..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian M1891 Bayonet in German/ Austrian Scabbard?  

Thanks for the interesting photo Bruno, are they all from your collection? I also read online that the Germans made scabbards for these out of zinc, which would explain why my scabbard feels light compared to what I would have expected.

?

Looks like Lebel scabbard that was upgraded for Mosin using by Germans. br.Andy