Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

shed found bayo, help needed!

Article about: I was at work today speaking to an elderly gentleman, he was telling me about his experiences of the war as child on the suffolk coast, next thing he goes into his shed and hands me two bayo

Default shed found bayo, help needed!

I was at work today speaking to an elderly gentleman, he was telling me about his experiences of the war as child on the suffolk coast, next thing he goes into his shed and hands me two bayos smiles and tells me to take them home!

i have no idea about bayos so any help to id would be great, ones british and the other is french with an inscription running along the back of the blade, my camera is to old to capture the writing clearly, it reads something like ....16re d olimes de lt etienne juillet1879
    any help would be great, sorry for the awful pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture shed found bayo, help needed!   shed found bayo, help needed!  

shed found bayo, help needed!  

Default Re: shed found bayo, help needed!

Hello-French bayonet is for Gras M1873 rifle-writing on spine of blade is the particular manufacturer-should also have year of production-they are well made elegant weapons-the British bayonet is Pattern 1907 for SMLE No.III used in both 1st and 2nd World Wars.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Hello-French bayonet is for Gras M1873 rifle-writing on spine of blade is the particular manufacturer-should also have year of production-they are well made elegant weapons-the British bayonet is Pattern 1907 for SMLE No.III used in both 1st and 2nd World Wars.
    many thanks...

Lucky you
    Best regards
    Nuno

Blade back - probably reads Manufacture des armes de St Etienne.

Juillet (July)1879.

Richie