Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Slr bayonet id

Article about: The picture is not very good but the blade is a very bright chrome finish and the scabbard throat is polish brass. z4

Default Slr bayonet id

I picked up this SLR bayonet today and wondered if anyone can help to id it, the bayonet has a chromed blade and catch.
    The scabbard throat looks like its made of brass there is a letter r in a square on the handle and a letter c in and square on the other side of the handle, other markings are S.M. H (in a diamond)060 2379 on both sides of the handle.

Thanks for any help z4.

Default Re: Slr bayonet id

Its British for starters,and the 060 2379 is likely to be 9602379, the NSN for the grip

1005-99-960-2379 1005999602379, 1005-99-960-2379 - GRIP,BAYONET - 1005999602379

Is there a dimple around the press stud on the other side?

NCA
    ?

Scroll to the bottom of this link: Britain - World War II and Post-War

I hope thats some help..

?

Quote by NCA View Post
    Scroll to the bottom of this link: Britain - World War II and Post-War

I hope thats some help..
    Thats a great link NCA - just flagged it on my "favourites"!

Regards etc
    Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy

Thanks for the info, I already seen the site but the bayonet I have has no L1A numbers, here is a picture of the handle stamp.

The only way to ID the A number is to look for the recess on the catch on the other side, look at the number of angles ground for the blade and try to see if there is signs of brazing.

Not sure what you mean, but the only number on the other side is the same and I cannot see any brazing.

After checking with a mag glass the number is 960 as stated above
    z4

If you look at the other side where the spring lock catch is, if there is a dimple where the catch sits, its a L1A3 or A4, if there is no dimple and the catch isn't flush, its a L1A1 or A2. To decide if its a A1 or A2, you need to look at the blade. The A1 has a single ground edge on each side to make the cutting blade, the A2 has 2 ground edges each side to make the blade. To decide id its a A3 or A4, comes down to the brazing or rivets on the pommel, if its brazed its a A3, if its got rivets on the pomel, its a A4.

Also the A1 and A2 had a shaped cross piece whereas the A3 and A4 did not. I suspect your bayonet is a A4 because I can see it has a straight cross piece, not shaped and the pommel is riveted in place. A recess around the catch release button will confirm it.

Thanks for the info it look's like it is a A4, would this bayonet be use for ceremonies etc because of the chromed blade and catch.

z4

The blade doesn't appear to be chromed, just polished-a typical finish-the bayos were painted in various finishes, some gloss black for parade use others matt or 'Parkerised' for field use but this was often done at unit level for whatever use it was put to-you do find some chromed for colour guards/honour guards but these usually have the handle and or scabbard done as well...
    Attached photo of 2 Australian SLR bayos 1 parade use and 1 field use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Slr bayonet id  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast