Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Socket bayonet identification

Article about: Hello all. I am having some real problems identifying this bayonet. Can anyone help me please?! The triangular blade length is 17” long, the overall length is 20.5” long. The socket is 3” lo

?

Default Socket bayonet identification

Hello all. I am having some real problems identifying this bayonet. Can anyone help me please?! The triangular blade length is 17” long, the overall length is 20.5” long. The socket is 3” long. The blade is marked ‘REEVES’ 39. See pics for more info. All the indicators are saying 1853 pattern bayonet, but there is almost no elbow attaching the blade to the socket.

Any help would be so appreciated.

Al
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Socket bayonet identification   Socket bayonet identification  

Socket bayonet identification   Socket bayonet identification  

Socket bayonet identification  

?

Looks like a p1853 but you’re right the attachment to the socket looks “short”. Have a look at the measurements on Bayonets of Britain: 1700 through the First World War and see if they match up.

Alex

It's an unusual variation. There were in fact numerous socket types. This one is British, "Reeves" is a known maker. Narrow down the options by measuring the socket internal diameter. A P1853 would be 0.79 inch, whereas a later Martini-Henry would be 0.71 inch approximately.

?

Solved the mystery gentlemen. It’s an 1864 Westley Richards monkey tail bayonet, one of only 2000 made. Serial numbered 39. Info here: ~ Westley Richards Monkey Tail History - Roaring Forties

A rare piece. Thank you for your help, appreciated.

Al