Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Socket bayonet real?

Article about: Hello, I think this bayonet is an 1809 Potsdam musket bayonet. I would like to know other opinions if this is an authentic original bayonet and what it is and where its from. Do people even

Default Socket bayonet real?

Hello, I think this bayonet is an 1809 Potsdam musket bayonet. I would like to know other opinions if this is an authentic original bayonet and what it is and where its from. Do people even try to make fakes of these? Thank you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Socket bayonet real?   Socket bayonet real?  

Socket bayonet real?  

Very likely an authentic piece, but in that corroded condition any marks will likely have been lost. Spike bayonets are not widely faked in my experience as generally they sell for moderate prices. It can be a laborious process to identify as there are numerous types with only slight variation.

Thank you for the reply. So is the patina a pretty good indicator that its real? Does this look like a Prussian made bayonet? I know Potsdam musket bayonets lacked a mortise and the locking notch on this bayonet looks right for a Potsdam bayonet.