Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Spike/socket bayonet to identify

Article about: Hello, My grandfather found this bayonet in his garage in the 1940s in the US. So far we have not been able to identify it. Here's what I know. The entire bayonet measures 22". The sock

newsmiths
    ?

Default Spike/socket bayonet to identify

Hello, My grandfather found this bayonet in his garage in the 1940s in the US. So far we have not been able to identify it.

Here's what I know. The entire bayonet measures 22". The socket portion is 2 5/8" with a serial number 105227 on it. There is also an identifying stamp on the portion that attaches the blade to the socket. It is an oval standing up with a plus sign(+) over a "v" within it. There are no other identifying markings. If you looked into the hole of the socket where you would insert the barrel of the gun there is a large circular hole with a notch at the bottom resembling an upside-down house or a box with a "v" under it. If you cut a cross section of the blade it would be in the form of a "+".

Please share any information you have about its history. Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spike/socket bayonet to identify   Spike/socket bayonet to identify  

Default Re: Spike/socket bayonet to identify

A standard cruciform style Civil War bayonet, would be my guess. Exactly what kind of musket it fits, I have no clue. It could be one of many-perhaps a Springfield?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

William is correct about the era, but it is likely an import for the 1853
    British Enfield musket, which was very common to both sides
    during the American Civil War.........
    Regards,

Steve.

The Enfield was my other choice! These socket bayonets were almost a generic type of thing and fit most of the muskets in use during the war. The markings stamped don't seem to me to be much help either, as is the numbers(a rack number?). In any case, a nice CW bayonet.(Man, am I old...I used to see these things stuck in barrels at flea markets for 2 bucks apiece...sometimes they even had Sheaths. lol I'm guessing they're not quite 2 dollars anymore..)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I believe it's a Swiss Vetterli, the inspector mark with the + is actually the Swiss cross, and the V is for the inspectors name, Vogelsang, he was an inspector from 1879-1912. This bayonet is slotted so that the blade sits to the side of the barrel instead of underneath it. I don't know alot about these, they had 5 differnet model rifles that i can think of, M69, M69/71,M71,M78,M81. I'm not sure if they used the same bayo for all of them, but they did keep some around for later models. I tried looking up the different blades, but kept getting the rifles instead.

The period of 1879-1912 you mentioned is rather late for cruciform
    or socket bayonets. By then, sword or knife bladed bayos
    were the norm.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Both the Enfield bayonet and Bayonets for US Springfield Rifles and Rifled Muskets were triangular in cross section. The cruciform style was popular on the European Continent. One rifle that was imported during the American Civil war that was issued with the cruciform bayonet was the 1854 Austrian Lorenz. These were imported by both sides during the war. It's socket looked somewhat different. This one looks like the 1863 Vertelli or 1871 bayonet. Socket bayonets were fairly common through the end of the nineteenth century

That would seem to be the type then - Vetterli 1863/71.........
    Regards,

Steve.

My Swiss sources tell me the serial number matches for a Vetterli M71.

newsmiths
    ?

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    My Swiss sources tell me the serial number matches for a Vetterli M71.
    Thank you so much for your help!