Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Swords into Ploughshares

Article about: Mauser bayo reworked into some kind of farm tool?....

?

I read a claim that these curved bayonets where shaped like this to remove dead bodies?! Anyone else who have heard this "urban legend"?

?

hello
    really amazing !!
    cordially
    Didier

Quote by TrondK View Post
    I read a claim that these curved bayonets where shaped like this to remove dead bodies?! Anyone else who have heard this "urban legend"?
    I had heard that this was practiced during the American Civil War but I have not as yet seen solid evidence. I have also seen the type of bayonet turned scythe that Gunny has shown. It must have been a popular modification, particularly in rural areas, following the Wars. I love seeing items like this.

?

What bayonet has this once been?
    That appears to be a socket bayonet for a large caliber musket or early conversion. Some historical sources have noted the use of hooked bayonets for corpse removal but I have never seen any period photographs of it.

Yes this is a civil war era bayonet. I have heard of bayonets used as body movers in soldiers letters. They would put it at the end of there musket and grab a soldier by his belt or what have it and yank them to a grave to prevent touching and or "popping the bloated bodies". They have bin dug up in mass grave sites. this one was used more as a camp tool or kitchen utensil. the body hook bayoents would have more of a curvature to it so it wouldn't bend as easy.

?

Hello
    corpse ?
    to cut the hay, more likely !!
    cordially
    Didier

A "Spook Hook", is what they were called...the bent CW bayonets...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Very interesting. Thanks all for info

?

Various adaptations of bayonets. Experiments?
    Attached Images Attached Images Swords into Ploughshares  Swords into Ploughshares 

My grandfather was a National Emergency Services warden in Sydney during the war but prior to that he was in maritime fire & rescue on Sydney harbour. He told me hooks WERE used to pull 'floaters' out of the water. After some degree of flesh decomposition, lifting a corpse the traditional way whether on land or sea resulted in a rather unpleasant stomach turning occurrence .....
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2