Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on this M6 Bayonet please?

Article about: Hi My son purchased this Bayonet from a respected Dealer in the states and I thought I should put it up here for your valued opinions.It is clearly unissued and in good order but is there an

Default Thoughts on this M6 Bayonet please?

Hi
    My son purchased this Bayonet from a respected Dealer in the states and I thought I should put it up here for your valued opinions.It is clearly unissued and in good order but is there anything there may be wrong with it as these are now heavily faked.
    All opinions welcome.

Thanks Martin

Thoughts on this M6 Bayonet please?Thoughts on this M6 Bayonet please?Thoughts on this M6 Bayonet please?Thoughts on this M6 Bayonet please?Thoughts on this M6 Bayonet please?Thoughts on this M6 Bayonet please?

Looks like an original bayo in a repro scabbard.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I know very little with regards to US Bayonets but isn't there meant to be a flameing bomb stamp on the cross guard,this is the US military exceptence stamp?however I've seen many that haven't?Imperial was the prolific maker of the M6 and it looks the correct colour,but as I know many tools were sold off in the 70's and many copies were made for the outdoor/camping market,many have been fooled,personally my moto has always been look for the flameing bomb logo simple as that,sorry if this all sounds negative,and im probably talking a load of c....,im sure it will be fine.............

?

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure if there ever was an ordnance mark on M-6's. The bayo looks O.K. to me, but honestly, I don't know how you can tell an issue M-6 from one made with original parts for the surplus market. The scabbard isn't repro, just German made. Eickhorn also made the M-6 as well as others for the M-14 and 16 rifle systems.

If you want to research it further Franks site on US knives is fantastic.

US Military Knives Bayonets Machetes
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim P; 05-27-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Greetings Martin,

“If it’s an Imperial, there is no way to tell. Imperial made several thousand under commercial contract back in the early 1980's.” see post #2 here M6 Bayonets repros??? Commercial?? - M14 Forum Not all U.S. issued M6 Bayos possessed a Defense Acceptance Stamp (DAS) the replacement for the U.S. Ordnance Bomb. See here for the DAC stamp specifics on the very bottom of this page, though a page on the M5/5A1 Bayos it touches on the DAC’s use on early M6 Bayos. Bayo Points 25

I agree with Steve, the scabbard does not appear to be of U.S. Issue. With a DAC stamp (on the Bayo) we could readily confirm it was a U.S. issue piece, without it, it might or might not have been.

Regards,

Lance

Hi Again
    Thanks for all the help folks. My Son is thinking of collecting Bayonets but he could be walking into another minefield of originals, fakes and commercials.

Thanks again Martin