Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Treasure or Trash ?

Article about: Zwerge That is one beautiful knife and to have the family history and the sheath is great. I thought from the style and markings that it is one of the Bowie style hunting knives post 1891(ma

?

Default Re: Treasure or Trash ?

Zwerge
    That is one beautiful knife and to have the family history and the sheath is great. I thought from the style and markings that it is one of the Bowie style hunting knives post 1891(marked England) but there are many variations. Post it on Bernard Levine's forum. (link I listed) He wrote the book Levine's Guide to Knives. There is a section on these in his book.

I would like to see what Mr Levine says about the silver handled one. It might be a user but might be worth more than you think. I am perplexed by the silver handeled Bowies.

Big Ned
    That is interesting about snaps being invented so early.
    Do you have a reference to dating the Ltd mark on the I*XL? I have not seen this and would be interested on seeing pics of all the variations of Wostenholm marks.

Below is some pictures of my great great grandfather or great grandfathers folding bowie knife. They both served in the Indian army , 2 greats from 1823-1876, great I dont know what period. John.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Treasure or Trash ?   Treasure or Trash ?  

?

Thumbs up Re: Treasure or Trash ?

[QUOTE=copdoc;88789]Zwerge
    Post it on Bernard Levine's forum. (link I listed) He wrote the book Levine's Guide to Knives. There is a section on these in his book.

I would like to see what Mr Levine says about the silver handled one. It might be a user but might be worth more than you think. I am perplexed by the silver handeled Bowies.

I would like to second that request to contact Mr. Levine
    I am also curious about the silver handled one.

Well to me it looks like you have TREASURE !!!

?

Thanks for the second AZPhil

BP44 that is a nice folding Bowie. How about some closeups of the stampings?

Here is my James Westa Bowie from about 1840. I posted it on the bladeforum to try to find out more about Westa. I did not find out too much more but did learn that although the knives were used in the CS soldiers there is no evidence that the Confederacy had a "contract" with him as was on several sites.

Hi Copdoc,

This knife was on Gunbroker, but didn't sell. Pearl-Handled Sheffield Bowie w/Metal Scabbard : Daggers at GunBroker.com

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Ned

Not sure if I thanked you for the reference. I wish I had more historical info on James Westa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2