Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown bayonet

Article about: I came across this bayonet at a local collectables store and am stumped as to its identity and country of origin. I have attempted to ID it with my limited library to no avail. Any help woul

Default Unknown bayonet

I came across this bayonet at a local collectables store and am stumped as to its identity and country of origin. I have attempted to ID it with my limited library to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
    No hallmarks seen but the number 18 on the ricasso and some digits on the scabbard.
    It is in fair condition, with some spotty surface corrosion and slightly blunted tip. The blade is blued. I couldn't measure it in the store but it is a bit longer than a standard K98 Mauser bayonet and shorter than an Arisaka. Note the shape of the pommel...doesn't quite match anything else I have seen.

The dealer has it marked for $75 and claims it is a WW2 bayonet. My suspicion is that it is post WW2 but pre-1960s just based upon the construction and condition.

Apologies on the qualities of the pics but they are from a cell phone. I can try to get better pics if it might help.

Thanks,
    Pal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown bayonet   Unknown bayonet  

Unknown bayonet   Unknown bayonet  

Default Re: Unknown bayonet

Pal

Not entirely sure about the bayonet but I think some sort of Mauser is probably a good starting point.

I don't think the scabbard matches the bayonet. I'm fairly sure that the scabbard comes from a German S98-05. Looks to have stamped German unit markings.

Regards

Richie

Personally i think it's a belgian export bayonet for a south american country (Uruguay or Paraguay) and like Richie B said the scabbard is for a german WWI 98/05 bayo.

Jean

?

Looks like a china Mauser bayonet and the scabbard is probably a Weimar police proofed or other imperial unit stamped SG98/05.