Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown bayonet?

Article about: guys this has been laying around in the fileing cabnet for about ten years seen it today so took a couple of pics inside as it was snowing out we have no idea is it brittish or u.s or ?? has

Default Unknown bayonet?

guys this has been laying around in the fileing cabnet for about ten years seen it today so took a couple of pics inside as it was snowing out

we have no idea is it brittish or u.s or ?? has a dark gray camo paint scheme on the blade the pics are not very good and forgot to get the markings of the handle and case.

i know someone here at this great forum will know more on it and i also think its worth taking round the house rather than leaving it in a cold garage as whare it clips to the gun is starting to rust just a litttle and can be saved.

cheers ewan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown bayonet?   Unknown bayonet?  

Unknown bayonet?   Unknown bayonet?  

Last edited by HJ-Collector; 02-17-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Default re: Unknown bayonet?

dont know what happend to the other three pics as they are same quality as the one it shows. maybe to large
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown bayonet?  

Hi Ewan, bring him in from the cold. A nice British L1 for the SLR rifle.

More info here on the various types:

http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/...ayonet_(2).htm

Cheers, Ade.

hi ade yes thats some of the markings knew you would know it what time were these used and how much roughly would it be worth as i might have to give the old man something for it to save it from the pearls.

also ade on the back of the scabbard there is a round ball does this have a leather holder?

cheers mate

ewan

?

Quote by Ewan Stirling View Post
    guys this has been laying around in the fileing cabnet for about ten years seen it today so took a couple of pics inside as it was snowing out

we have no idea is it brittish or u.s or ?? has a dark gray camo paint scheme on the blade the pics are not very good and forgot to get the markings of the handle and case.

i know someone here at this great forum will know more on it and i also think its worth taking round the house rather than leaving it in a cold garage as whare it clips to the gun is starting to rust just a litttle and can be saved.

cheers ewan
    Hi Ewan

If you ever want to "lose it", I will gladly take it off your hands. It would be worth a bike ride to come and collect!

Regards etc

Ian

AKA: Jimpy

Hi Ewan, the SLR (Self Loading Rifle) was used from 1955 until 1984. After this rifle was replaced by the L85A1 (SA80) this bayonet became obsolete.

The stud on the scabbard allows it to hang from the webbing frog. Usually the 1958 pattern.

No idea on value, sorry, post war stuff is not really my thing, but I am sure you will find a ready market for it if you want to sell it. Looks like Ian is after it

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: Unknown bayonet?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Ewan, the SLR (Self Loading Rifle) was used from 1955 until 1984. After this rifle was replaced by the L85A1 (SA80) this bayonet became obsolete.

The stud on the scabbard allows it to hang from the webbing frog. Usually the 1958 pattern.

No idea on value, sorry, post war stuff is not really my thing, but I am sure you will find a ready market for it if you want to sell it. Looks like Ian is after it

Cheers, Ade.
    Is it that obvious Ade?

I did all my service time with the SLR and GPMG, (hence my nickname....jimpy = army slang for GPMG) and would love to get my hands on a good, fully strippable SLR and GPMG, with the accessories etc, at a decent, not extortionate price.

PS: Ewan.

Does it have Dark wood or black nylon grips? Its hard to tell from the photo's?
    Last edited by jimpy; 02-17-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Addition

Hi Ewan,
    The bayo would be held on the left side, on the ammo pouch
    for the 58 Patt webbing you will find a bayonet frog built into the pouch, this is where they would be worn. hope this helps,
    i still have my S.L.R, bayonet, all i need is my rifle back.lol
    Dave.

Hi Ian,
    the whole of the slr bayo is metal, even the grips they are pressed
    steel. And then the complete bayonet and scabbard are parkerized, against the weather. lovely bayonets though.
    Dave.

?

Hi Dave

Thanks for that.

Offer still stands, if you want to lose it in my direction.

Regards etc
    Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast