Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

USMC Ka-Bar

Article about: by CBH Now that's a KNIFE lol . I already have a very large SOG knife , but it weighs a ton ! And would cause other campers to question my sanity . But if the zombies were at the door I gues

Default Re: USMC Ka-Bar

Quote by CBH View Post
    I much prefer the Ka-bar to the Camillus , I've owned both . The Ka-bar has a small handle and fits into the hand much better , and much better steel IMO . Here a photo of mine along side an aluminum cast example made by an old girl-friend at art-school ! Should have held onto that one . lol

The knife or the girl............

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    I much prefer the Ka-bar to the Camillus , I've owned both . The Ka-bar has a small handle and fits into the hand much better , and much better steel IMO . Here a photo of mine along side an aluminum cast example made by an old girl-friend at art-school ! Should have held onto that one . lol
    Sure you do
    And thats fine - in fact I would prefer, if you would continue to do so
    I on the other hand far prefer the Cattaraugus 225Q over both the KaBar and the rare Camillus seen in my post above, but thats just a personal preference.
    Check out the handguards in my pics above and youll see why. Plus the 225 is simply a solid hefty knife.
    In fact, the Cattaraugus will stay, where as the Camillus might be sold, if something else strikes my fancy.
    Most others buy into the hype ....or the magic of the KaBar (how ever you prefer to look at it) and most disregard the humble 225 - if they even know of it.
    Many dont and most want the KaBar. Its always the KaBar people know and go for.

I hope it stays that way for a looooooooooooong time, because that means, that I can continue to gobble up quality knives like the 225s for a fraction of the price of a KaBar

I happen to use the first 225, that I bought. I can attest to the quaity of it, though the steel is of course not comparable to how modern knives perform.

With a million made, prices for the 225 are still relatively low (though I have seen slightly higher prices on some).

Hi Scout............not sure anyone is saying one is better than the other here..........a modern knife may be better quality and more practical, no dispute from me, but what we are buying into if you like is the history of certain items, and yes this can be subjective.....look at the asking price for wartime Fairbairn Sykes knives for example, a knife with limitations and , some would say, design faults but what an icon...................off topic..I own a 1976 Triumph Trident motorcycle, its a design dinosaur but of its era and has a allure all of its own which is impossible to quantify.......as the French say...................... 'Vive La Differance'

?

I quite agree. Its often the lure that we buy into. I skirted that subject as well.
    I do it myself - just not in the case of the KaBar.
    But in regards to other knives and other items, yes.
    I hunted an original and old FS for a while too.
    When one look at it, one wonders why!LOL
    Its good for one thing and one thing ONLY.
    Wouldnt want to open a can of Spam with it.
    The other above mentioned knives are far better in a utility role (and can be used as fighters) where as the FS is superior at what it does best.
    A typical grunt would be better off with with the utility/fighter, where as more specialized soldier/unit could benefit by being equipped with the FS for those nightly 'sentry deanimation' purposes.

BTW please show us a pic of your magnificent bike - maybe in the hobbies thread?
    Im currently in the process of having an early fifties bike restored myself.

I certainly bought into the 'lure' of that one. If I hadnt wanted it for the historical aspect, I could have bought a fully working and more modern bike for one third of the price AND have had a far more reliable and FAR more cheap working bike in the years to come.

Scout.............the things we do for love eh...?..............i will post some pics of my Trident in the hobbies section.........

CBH
    ?

Quote by Lugerlout View Post
    The knife or the girl............
    I still have the knife ! LOL And I was referring to the new issue Camillus USMC knife , compared to the ka-bar remake . No disrespect intended . I haven't dealt with WWII example and i'm sure it is a fine knife . But as far as a modern beater goes , ka-bar . I've split logs , thrown it , generally beat the crap out of it and it still holds up pretty well . I do find myself using a West German belt knife more lately . It's smaller lighter and the metal sheath is more solid then any leather one . I replaced the leather frog with a Canadian bayonet frog to fit larger belts , works great . Sorry if I was taken the wrong way in my first posts .
    cheers Chris

?

I certainly only gathered from your posts, that you liked your KaBar.

Im sure your moden KaBar is more than up to the tasks you describe, though I generally dont recommend throwing knives not designed for it.

The KaBar is still a favourite of many and loads of people buy and use the modern variations of the KaBar like you do. KaBar must be doing something right!

I quite like the design of this KaBar - called simply and very to the point, the 'Large Heavy Bowie.'
    There was a time, when I seriously entertained the idea of buying it.

Ka-Bar Large Heavy Bowie

CBH
    ?

Now that's a KNIFE lol . I already have a very large SOG knife , but it weighs a ton ! And would cause other campers to question my sanity . But if the zombies were at the door I guess it's the one I'd grab . That or my Cold Steel tanto , it's the older one with brass cross guard and pommel . A great knife but I never use it , cause it was quite expensive and a gift from my grandmother , she knows me so well . I'll have to count my knives some day , but it would take some time to dig them all out . Like hats I guess I don't want to know how many I have .
    cheers

Quote by CBH View Post
    Now that's a KNIFE lol . I already have a very large SOG knife , but it weighs a ton ! And would cause other campers to question my sanity . But if the zombies were at the door I guess it's the one I'd grab . That or my Cold Steel tanto , it's the older one with brass cross guard and pommel . A great knife but I never use it , cause it was quite expensive and a gift from my grandmother , she knows me so well . I'll have to count my knives some day , but it would take some time to dig them all out . Like hats I guess I don't want to know how many I have .
    cheers

I want a Gran like that..............mine only used to buy me stuff like slippers and hankys...............but I still loved her..................why is there no crying emoticon...?

CBH
    ?

She is still good to me , doesn't travel much anymore being 84 ! But still a sweetheart . Come to think of it I think she might have got me my Ka-bar also ! And I guess being in my 40's I shouldn't expect gifts anymore ! But who doesn't love gifts !
    cheers

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast