Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

A variation of the Vengeur de 1870

Article about: (Photos in next post) Here are two examples of mine of the 'Vengeur de 1870' French fighting knives. This thread is very informative: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bayone...venger-282616/ Th

PRE
    ?

Default A variation of the Vengeur de 1870

(Photos in next post)
    Here are two examples of mine of the 'Vengeur de 1870' French fighting knives. The following thread is very interesting and a good source of information on these:
    French "M 1916" "Avenger"

The first one is a standard First Pattern knife, and was made by Bourgade. It is marked only on the obverse side of the blade, with the reverse being blank.

The second one is much more worn, but highly interesting. This one is marked 'Vengeur de 1870' on the obverse and '76' on the reverse. There were three variations like this, with the same obverse marking but three different types of reverse markings. This particular example was found in Lithuania and has obviously been exposed to the elements for a period of time. This one was also modified by removing the cross guard completely and replacing the sheath with a different type lacking the fixed belt slot metal loop on the back. The replacement sheath had a length of equipment strap cut and folded over to create a belt loop, the ends of which are riveted together and through mating rivets in the side of the sheath.

The result is a knife that slides out easily, and without a cross guard to snag on any straps, slings or clothing when being presented. All of the photos I have been able to locate (very few) show these in decidedly non-combat environments, so modifying one like this would have been a very deliberate act with a particular use in mind. These were thrusting weapons and lacked much of an edge, so being able to draw and use a knife quickly would point to this example as being one that the owner customized for himself, and with his own individual needs in mind. I really like examples of field modified kit, so this one fits neatly into that and a Beutewaffen niche.

Best,
    Pat

PRE
    ?

Photos here-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A variation of the Vengeur de 1870   A variation of the Vengeur de 1870  

A variation of the Vengeur de 1870   A variation of the Vengeur de 1870  

A variation of the Vengeur de 1870   A variation of the Vengeur de 1870  

PRE
    ?

Last photos-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A variation of the Vengeur de 1870   A variation of the Vengeur de 1870  

Interesting. That scabbard of the knife without crossguard (leather hanger), looks German. The shape suggests it once also held a trench knife. Perhaps a field adaption, German trench knives had a small crossguard. It may not have been a Frenchman who adapted it.

PRE
    ?

Yes, that's what I had assumed. My bet is that the modifications were done after the point of German capture in WWII.
    Pat