Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

what country is this bayonet from?

Article about: Hello all, Can anyone please tell me what kind of bayonet this is? The frog looks German to me, correct? William Kramer

Default what country is this bayonet from?

Hello all,

Can anyone please tell me what kind of bayonet this is? The frog looks German to me, correct?

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what country is this bayonet from?   what country is this bayonet from?  

Attached Images Attached Images what country is this bayonet from? 

I can't help with the frog (agree it looks German), but I believe the bayonet is a French Model 1892 for the Mannlicher- Berthier artillery carbine. This one has a shortened quillon, which according to my references was a modification carried out in 1916. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I can't help with the frog (agree it looks German), but I believe the bayonet is a French Model 1892 for the Mannlicher- Berthier artillery carbine. This one has a shortened quillon, which according to my references was a modification carried out in 1916. Hope this helps. Cheers.
    Give this man a cigar!...

?

yes it is a berthier bayonet and the frog is correct, most European countries all followed the same style for their frogs and even the bayonets, there is very little deviation in some gear. Many of the countries followed the same mentality. Although, the peg of the bayonet scabbard does not quite fit into the hole of the frog. If it is German there are usually markings on the back of the belt loop.

thanks guys! I did not know that about the general frog design!

William Kramer

Greetings William,

In the spirit of “show me don’t tell” here are some references. Bayonet is as already identified and here is what the correct French M1892 Berthier Bayonet’s frog should look like (see first scan below). The current frog paired with it may be completely functional, but as discussed it’s probably of German origin.

The second scan shows (red arrow) a German made frog of similar construction (but without a retaining tab). Please also note, that the Germans converted and constructed many variations of frogs to fit captured foreign stocks of weapons and so that may very be what you have…something cobbled together by the Germans for reissue (in this bayo's case probably post WWI). Some of those are shown on the second paged scanned as well. Hope this helps.

Attached scan comes from this book Bayonet Belt Frogs: Pts. 1, 2 & 3: Amazon.co.uk: Anthony Carter: Books

Regards,

Lance

Double click on pictures to enlarge.

Fits on this, the carbine (the long rifle uses a completely different bayo that originally was designed for the M1886 Lebel rifle).

PS-Yours appears to have been shortened to fit the scabbard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what country is this bayonet from?  

?

Quote by all1knew View Post
    Hello all,

Can anyone please tell me what kind of bayonet this is? The frog looks German to me, correct?

William Kramer
    It is not mentioned yet but your example has been shortened as well - the length of blade does not match the scabbard´s length..