Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What kind of Chassepot..

Article about: Please help, gentlemen, - could anybody tell something about this strange Chassepot´ bayonet ? What country // producer // rifle ??

?

Default What kind of Chassepot..

Please help, gentlemen, - could anybody tell something about this strange Chassepot´ bayonet ?

What country // producer // rifle ??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What kind of Chassepot..   What kind of Chassepot..  

What kind of Chassepot..   What kind of Chassepot..  

What kind of Chassepot..  

?

Hello
    it's not a Chassepot !!
    cordially
    Didier

The Bayonet / Sword was crafted by a German Producer " Axt und Hauer fabrik" Others will comment on its exact identity bayonet type. Regards Larry

Hi Didier good to see you.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I believe what you have is an Egyptian Model 1870 made by Gebruder Weyersburg for the .433 caliber Remington rolling block rifle. It was modified in 1876 for the Snider converted Enfield or in 1914 for use with the Martini-Enfield. These are fairly uncommon, so I am not sure which conversion it is and whether or not the scabbard is proper for it. I can do some more digging after work.

Jim

?

This is considered the 1914 conversion, quillion crossguard removed and replaced with a thicker one without quillion. With the number 34 stamped into the pommel, it is possible that this is for police use.

Jim

?

Thank you very much, Jim.

Did I understand rightly - this bayo was produced by germans IAW french Chassepot´ model and for egiptians?

And some after it was reworked by those egiptians into british manner??

Weyersberg makers mark is clearly visible on the blade but what signe is on the ohter side???
    Last edited by Bruno; 07-18-2014 at 10:43 AM.

?

Quote by Bruno View Post
    Thank you very much, Jim.

Did I understand rightly - this bayo was produced by germans IAW french Chassepot´ model and for egiptians?

And some after it was reworked by those egiptians into british manner??

Weyersberg makers mark is clearly visible on the blade but what signe is on the ohter side???
    Remington subcontracted the bayonet manufacturing of this model to 3 German companies, W.R. Kirschbaum, Alexander Coppel, and Gebruder Weyersberg.

The rifle itself is a single shot weapon with a very strong action that could chamber very powerful rounds for extreme long distance shooting. At the turn of the century everyone was starting to adopt the multi-shot bolt actions, such as the Mauser and Enfield actions. Instead of replacing the whole store of bayonets with new ones, existing bayo's were converted. Either for use on different rifles or for use as a sidearm for other paramilitary groups.

As far as the other mark, I can not make it out. Also there could be an "EP" or "EPCH" stamped into the fuller if it was used by the police force. But, not all that claim police use have this mark as I understand it. Also the scabbard is the correct style, but unless it is numbered to the bayo or has some arabic numbers on it, I don't know how you can tell for sure.

Jim

?

Bought this item for 120.- euros.
    Have no glue, did I good deal or not.. But Ok - collecting is kind of risk sometimes :-)

?

Quote by Bruno View Post
    Bought this item for 120.- euros.
    Have no glue, did I good deal or not.. But Ok - collecting is kind of risk sometimes :-)
    I would say that you paid half of what it would normally bring, properly identified, at a good bayo auction. As a point of interest, these are identified by different authors as an 1867 1868 and 1870, depending on where you look. This one is more commonly identified as an 1867/14.

Jim

?

As promised, some better pics on this strange bayo.

No any markings on sheath but Weyersberg producer mark and big litera "W" on the opposite sides of blade.. Also un-understadable number "34"(?) at the pommel..

Does this give some new information?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What kind of Chassepot..   What kind of Chassepot..  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast