Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What is this tassel?

Article about: Hi, I have to say that I have absolutely no experience dealing with tassels, daggers or swords, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify this piece. I've looked around for similar tas

Default What is this tassel?

Hi,

I have to say that I have absolutely no experience dealing with tassels, daggers or swords, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify this piece. I've looked around for similar tassels, and have only found one which and similar gold and red colors, but was much bigger than this one and was identified as being from Russia from the early 1900s.

This is all metal and measures 5.5 inches long, and the ribbon measures 1/2 an inch wide. Is this some sort of sword/dagger tassel or something else?

Thank you!

Default re: What is this tassel?

Going from the coat of arms i'd say this is Hungarian, late 1800s early 1900s at a guess.

Default Re: What is this tassel?

Definitely Hungarian knot (its clearly seen Croatian checkerboard), perhaps for a miniature sword.
    Maybe it belonged to the Hungarian Home Defense. (WW1)
    Can you put photos of blacklight test?

Regards
    Vedran

Quote by Rancid66 View Post
    Definitely Hungarian knot (its clearly seen Croatian checkerboard), perhaps for a miniature sword.
    Maybe it belonged to the Hungarian Home Defense. (WW1)
    Can you put photos of blacklight test?

Regards
    Vedran
    Hi Vedran,

Thank you very much for the help. You're right, this is definitely a Hungarian knot. This piece is completely made of brass with red thread that makes up the 3 red lines on the band, which doesn't glow. Do you think that this could be some sort of parade knot?

MODS: My apologies for posting this in the wrong thread. Is it possible to move it to a more appropriate forum such as the WWI and Imperial thread?

All knots are using for a ceremonial occasion. Your is Watch Fob.
    I like these one, unfortunately today are produced hig good reproductions.
    Besides brass, other materials are wool?

Regards
    Vedran

Quote by Rancid66 View Post
    All knots are using for a ceremonial occasion. Your is Watch Fob.
    I like these one, unfortunately today are produced hig good reproductions.
    Besides brass, other materials are wool?
    Good point, see I told you I don't know anything about knots . That is very interesting to hear that this is a watch fob, I've never heard of anything like it. Can this be more of a governmental related piece, or more for a civilian?

To the touch the piece is rigid and feels like it's just brass, although at the top of the ribbon there is some fraying of what looks like wool. I got this piece with a group of US and British world war 1 pins and buttons, so I wouldn't think that this was a reproduction, although so there a way to say for sure?

Thank you very much for your help!

Example wach phobos:
    https://www.lakesidetrader.com/item.php?ID=104
    If the wool, I like it very much.
    I guess it's maybe from the Hungarian government, or Hungary National Defense, from the period of the A. Monarchy.

Regards
    Vedran