Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What type of Mosin bayonet?

Article about: As I´m not very familiar with socket bayos - could anybody tell me, what type of Mossin bayonet (country, years, rifle type for e.t.c) this is? Thanks!

?

Default What type of Mosin bayonet?

As I´m not very familiar with socket bayos - could anybody tell me, what type of Mossin bayonet (country, years, rifle type for e.t.c) this is?

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What type of Mosin bayonet?   What type of Mosin bayonet?  

What type of Mosin bayonet?  

Default re: What type of Mosin bayonet?

Imperial Russian M1891 Mosin first pattern bayonet.

Default Re: What type of Mosin bayonet?

Mo is correct.

I have one too. Shown on the forum here:

Early Mosin Nagant bayonet

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Bayo is, as stated the m1891 for the m1891 long rifle and Dragoon models-the later m91/30 rifle bayo has a different spring loaded attachment method.

I have never actually been successful getting one of these on a Mosin Nagant!

From what I have read, Soviet military doctrine included extensive, permanent use of the bayonet. The idea was that once the bayonet was attached, it wasn't supposed to be taken off! Those Mosin bayonets are fearsome things, but they make excellent screwdrivers.

I don't really know how they got away with the 'no more than 2 edges to a bayonet' rule but I suppose it worked.

Due to wide manufacturing tolerances, the bayos are serial numbered to the rifle they fit-Finnish remanufactured socket bayos are reground to a point rather than the chisel blade.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post

From what I have read, Soviet military doctrine included extensive, permanent use of the bayonet. The idea was that once the bayonet was attached, it wasn't supposed to be taken off! Those Mosin bayonets are fearsome things, but they make excellent screwdrivers.

I don't really know how they got away with the 'no more than 2 edges to a bayonet' rule but I suppose it worked.
    The bayo on my mosin has matching serial numbers... I have to use the multi tool to wrench it off. Damn thing pinches my skin and cuts me all the time!

The example posted looks to be very heavily blued in the photos and may be a WW I contract to Remington arms in the U.S. for Russia?? Also, for the Russian cavalry enlisted men they were not left attached to the rifles. But instead mounted on the saber scabbards when not in use until the adoption of the M 1944 carbine as shown in the attached image. With another image showing some variations in markings. Which is where it could get a little uncertain, as the the one on the far right does not have either the usual Imperial markings, or those normally associated with the Soviet era. With the Cossack saber itself being dated 1938, and my sense of the bayonet (which came with it) as possibly also coming from Zlatoust in the same time frame. FP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What type of Mosin bayonet?   What type of Mosin bayonet?  

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post

screwdriver heads are awesome, attached to the rifle it doesn't take lots of effort to stub trough a 3mm thick laminate . Try it. Most of the time it had to go trough overcoat. It's cold down here in Europe. 91s are longer you probably could stab an enemy on the other side of river. It was recommended to try not to allow bayo go into body more that 1/3 of its length otherwise it could stack among ribs. Ak bayos starting from 6x3 were made right of 1/3 of Mosin bayonets

But sometimes if you manage to brake it, you could end up with this, till you find another one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What type of Mosin bayonet?