Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 1916 Ersatz German Bayonet found in Fort de Vaux (Verdun) Original not Turkish.

Article about: Here are some pics of my bayonet from Verdun. I was wondering how much would this be worth considering it was found in a fort. The leather on the Sheath is authentic and original. The sheath

Default WW1 1916 Ersatz German Bayonet found in Fort de Vaux (Verdun) Original not Turkish.

Here are some pics of my bayonet from Verdun. I was wondering how much would this be worth considering it was found in a fort. The leather on the Sheath is authentic and original. The sheath itself is authentic also. No repairs other than the painting of the Leather.

Note: Not been touched since 1917.

Here are the pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 1916 Ersatz German Bayonet found in Fort de Vaux (Verdun) Original not Turkish.   WW1 1916 Ersatz German Bayonet found in Fort de Vaux (Verdun) Original not Turkish.  

WW1 1916 Ersatz German Bayonet found in Fort de Vaux (Verdun) Original not Turkish.   WW1 1916 Ersatz German Bayonet found in Fort de Vaux (Verdun) Original not Turkish.  

WW1 1916 Ersatz German Bayonet found in Fort de Vaux (Verdun) Original not Turkish.  

Another Picture
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 1916 Ersatz German Bayonet found in Fort de Vaux (Verdun) Original not Turkish.  

Does anyone have any idea?

We don't offer appraisal service. NH

Could you explain how you came in possession of this bayonet, when your earlier post said it was found lying in a fort in Verdun after 100 years? It is likely to be illegal to remove items from that battlefield site.

As I said, it was found DIRECTLY after the war, the 1920's.

This farmer was having a sale in Verdun. He told us that he would rather sell the item to someone who is intrested instead of donating it to a museam. He said that he found it in the Fort in the 1920's and has not touched it since. It was most likely in a puddle explaining the case hardening effect of the knife. It has not got any changes to it and it is the real authentic German Ersatz. The Turkish cut them down and they tend to be cheaper and easier to find. The sheath and leather is all original but has been repainted by the farmer. The knife has not been altered or changed. Considering that the piping on the leather and other such items found around this knife, it is fair to say it is most likely from a Prussian regiment in the German Army

So the story has changed. You said this in your first post on the WW1 & Imperial forum;

"Could Somebody tell me how much this would be worth? I know it isn't in perfect shape but considering it was left in a fort for almost 100 years, it has stayed in almost excellent condition."

Left in a fort for almost 100 years. That's not directly after the war, a 1920's find.

True, what I meant to say was it has not been in milltary use aince 1917

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast