Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

ww1 bayonet?

Article about: Hi this ground dug relic was bought by me a long time ago and the one thing I cannot find is exactly what rifle it was made for?its a 1913 pattern Remington made,dated Feb 1916,so is it a US

Default ww1 bayonet?

Hi this ground dug relic was bought by me a long time ago and the one thing I cannot find is exactly what rifle it was made for?its a 1913 pattern Remington made,dated Feb 1916,so is it a US product for the P14 rifle or our SMLE or something differant,thanks in advance.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 bayonet?   ww1 bayonet?  

ww1 bayonet?   ww1 bayonet?  

?

Remington was contracted to manufacture the P14 and its bayonet.
    Regards,
    John

The bayonet is for the P14 in .303 and will also fit the M1917 in .30-06.

Thank you Joe thats the answer i wanted,as this was dug on the western front,i knew it had to have come from a US made rifle but was never 100% sure which one,were all P14's obsolete by the time the AEF entered into the war,as the new m17 30-06 was the standard rifle along with the springfield 30-06,thanks again joe and John.

No worries, Jake!

I don't know too much about the P14, but I'm willing to bet that British/ Commonwealth troops used them all throughout the war. I could be wrong, but I don't think the British used the M1917 as them with .30-06 would have been a logistical nightmare.

I recently purchased an M1917 and did a lot of research. The common misconception is that the AEF was exclusively outfitted with M1903 "Springfield" rifles during World War I. I do not have the numbers handy, but I learned that there weren't enough M1903s to go around. Instead, the machines used to make the P14 were retooled and M1917s were actually issued to the majority of U.S. troops. Sgt Alvin York used an M1917 when he earned his Medal of Honor.

ww1 bayonet?

?

The P14 wasn't obsolete and was in use in the United Kindom, its manufacture had pretty much run it's course as the British contract was filled. The design was rechambered to 30.06 to expidite the needs of the US.

It was issued to 75% of US soldiers.
    Regards,
    John

Im not to clued either mate,but my understanding is that we designed the p14 .303 to replace the SMLE but with the outbreak of war the US bought the contract and produced the p14 then as you mentioned was converted to the 30-06 also the p14 served in the UK by our own "Dads Army",at least I have a WW1 US piece even if it isn't much to look at,thanks again.............

Yes, I have heard that P14s were used by the home guard and rear echelon troops into WWII.

?

Nice rifle Joe, I have one from each of the three manufacturers - Eddystone, Remington, and Winchester and numerous bayonets.
    Regards,
    John

Very nice, John!

I'm on the hunt for a second M1917 bayonet.