Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ww1 Bayonet ID please help? metal handle?

Article about: Hi Gents This has been displayed in my local museum for years now with the description "British bayonet with German bullet hole"...I am convinced this is incorrect, but cannot ID t

Reg
    ?

Default Ww1 Bayonet ID please help? metal handle?

Hi Gents

This has been displayed in my local museum for years now with the description "British bayonet with German bullet hole"...I am convinced this is incorrect, but cannot ID the bayonet definitively as the Erstaz type I think it is, I would really appreciate your opinions on what it is......My own opinion on the museum has been detailed in an email to the curator as this is one of several errors, the others I can detail, this ... where I know what its Not, is tricky as I dont know what it IS...... Appologies for the bad photo.

Many thanks

Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww1 Bayonet ID please help? metal handle?  

?

Default Re: Ww1 Bayonet ID please help? metal handle?

Correct Reg.
    Ersatz Bayonets
    Reference no. EB44
    Regards,
    Pete

Reg
    ?

Awesome....Thanks Wood, It looked posher than the other Ersatz I had seen.

nip round there and tell them its a german bayonet with a british bullet hole.

Reg
    ?

LOL.....Its item 5 on a list I sent them, they are, in fairness reviewing my complaint but cant change any signage until next year as they blew the budget on a poxy interactive screen thing.

?

I must admit I've never seen this type with a metal copy of the wooden handle. Though I did go glassy eyed while looking through a friends (Ray Brooker, now deceased) 100+ collection of such Erzatz types.
    Pete

Quote by wood View Post
    I must admit I've never seen this type with a metal copy of the wooden handle. Though I did go glassy eyed while looking through a friends (Ray Brooker, now deceased) 100+ collection of such Erzatz types.
    Pete
    If you're lucky you can find a saw back version as well - not mine, a photo shamelessly stolen from the internet !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww1 Bayonet ID please help? metal handle?  

?

Oddly enough, the sawback versions of this bayonet are more common that those with the plain back. They are very interesting as are all of the ersatz bayos.

Janzen's Notebook (Bayonet Book) on page 90 states that it is a Bavarian Ersatz Model 1915 Bayonet... BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Janzen is a great general reference but, as in many other cases, he was mistaken on the source for this one. While issued to some Bavarian troops, it is Prussian and saw use by large numbers of Prussian as well as other forces in the Imperial German military.