Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 kS98 with Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 markings

Article about: Greetings all, purchased a WW1 German kS98 produced by Erfurt in 1909. Beyond the usual acceptance and manufacturer stamps, if carries an F.A.1.157 marking, which seems to indicate that it h

?

Default WW1 kS98 with Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 markings

Greetings all, purchased a WW1 German kS98 produced by Erfurt in 1909.
    Beyond the usual acceptance and manufacturer stamps, if carries an F.A.1.157 marking, which seems to indicate that it has been issued to a Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 from Doberitz.
    Scabbard is sadly not original - FA markings missing. However, seems to be of correct type.
    Since I am new to collecting WW1 militaria, keen to hear the opinions on this piece - seems legit to me, but I might be wrong.
    Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 kS98 with Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 markings   WW1 kS98 with Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 markings  

WW1 kS98 with Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 markings   WW1 kS98 with Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 markings  

Last edited by SergeP; 01-21-2019 at 08:03 PM.

MAP
    ?

Welcome again Serge,

Not my area so I can't provide any feedback, but I'm sure one of bayo guru's will be around and provide some opinions.

It looks nice though!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A very nice Imperial era KS98. It's fairly rare to find military acceptance marks on these as most purchased were privately purchased for wear with dress or "walking out" uniform. However some were issued, as were some swords for NCO's and officers, as this one has been. Very collectable from that point of view alone.
    For those studying the development of the KS98 type this is also interesting as the 1909 Acceptance mark pin points likely year of manufacture. These early types display some unique features, the pronounced bird head pommel, three rivets on the grips, the drainage hole in the grip, all steel construction.
    The early scabbards had a little lip on the side of the throat. The grip plates may be a rubber based material rather than bakelite.
    Thanks for showing it to us. Very interesting acquisition.

?

Here is a picture of Max Immelmann with the same type of bayonet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 kS98 with Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 markings  

I think that is a scarce unit marking.

Many of these can be found with unit markings for German Colonial troops.

Sch D. O. A. - Schutztruppe Deutsch Ost Afrika

P. T. K. - Polizeitruppe Kamerun

K. S. - Kaiserliche Schutztruppe

In addition, markings for Airship, Telegraph and Radio units have been noted.

The kS design formed the basis for many private purchase weapons especially for officers who stopped carrying swords in the field. I seem to recall, that this order was issued in 1915 or 16 although my memory may be faulty here.

?

Thank you Richie - indeed, order came out in 1915 for officers to stop carrying swords and shift to bayonets. Naturally, most opted for shorter private purchase kS98 derivatives.

The sawback KS98 also became the favoured "side arm of office" for NCO's during WW1. It had the "cool" factor even back then.

Hallo,

yes a nice and rare marking.

Here is one of the Flieger-Bataillon 1
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 kS98 with Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 markings   WW1 kS98 with Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 markings  

WW1 kS98 with Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 markings   WW1 kS98 with Feld-Flieger Abteilung 1 markings  

Here is a Soldier of the Flieger-Bataillon 3 with a KS98