Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI boot/fighting/trench knife and sheath

Article about: Greetings and Howdy Do? I am in search of information on a knife that I recently acquired. It seems to be from WWI. There are no markings at all to be found. Can anyone tell me anything abou

?

Default WWI boot/fighting/trench knife and sheath

Greetings and Howdy Do?

I am in search of information on a knife that I recently acquired. It seems to be from WWI. There are no markings at all to be found. Can anyone tell me anything about this knife? I have seen a few like it but they had 3 rivets in the handle whereas this one only has 2. Any significance to that? I am also wondering about the sheath. It is obviously missing a part that either hung from a belt or attached to a boot. My question is what should be there? Leather? Fabric? Metal clip? I have read that WWI had leather or fabric and that WWII had clips. This leads to another question... is the sheath original to the knife? There are 2 holes where something attaches to it. Any I have seen with leather or fabric have these 2 holes stacked vertically on the sheath. Mine has the holes side-by-side which I've seen with the sheaths that had metal clips. I'm stumped. Can anyone help me out? I'd be happy to supply more pictures if that would help. I'm also curious as to what this knife might be worth. Thanks to all!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI boot/fighting/trench knife and sheath   WWI boot/fighting/trench knife and sheath  

Default Re: WWI boot/fighting/trench knife and sheath

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

You have a perfectly original WW1 German private purchase trench knife. These were made in a varity of styles by many different makers, hence the different details to be found. Yours is missing the leather hanger as you suspected.

Cheers, Ade.

We have a search on the forum..............look up what Ade told you and you can see all kind of examples just like yours

Cheers

And there is another thing missing. Between handguard and edge shoud be a small leatherguard to protect the scabbard. For these knifes it is only known that Brothers Dittmar in Heilbronn and Ferdinand Müller in Münster (german towns) produced and sold these knifes.

?

Thanks for all the info. I did a little searching before I posted and found some similar pictures but not a lot of info. I'll do some further searching though, now that I have more of an idea of what I'm looking for. What about a value in it's present condition?

Quote by debbi082009 View Post
    ... For these knifes it is only known that Brothers Dittmar in Heilbronn and Ferdinand Müller in Münster (german towns) produced and sold these knifes.
    I do not agree !

This knive´s the very "Standard" German fighting-knife of WWI.

Many maker´s in Germany manufactured this pattern Grabenmesser !

In this thread:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...h-knife-19571/

I mentioned some of them.

Rgds.,

R.