Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Butcher bayonets with latest addition

Article about: I collect mainly WWI items and the bayonets are my favorite items. Here are my German bayonets alongside my latest Butcher blade addition with its markings Thanks for looking

Default WWI Butcher bayonets with latest addition

I collect mainly WWI items and the bayonets are my favorite items.

Here are my German bayonets alongside my latest Butcher blade addition with its markings

Thanks for looking

Looks like J.A.Henckels and the famous "Zwilling" logo.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Looks like J.A.Henckels and the famous "Zwilling" logo.
    This is my first non relic condition one and to have the twins stamp etc was a bonus

Looks like it was originally a 'sawback' and has had the teeth removed.

Quote by Blackdog View Post
    Looks like it was originally a 'sawback' and has had the teeth removed.
    You know what, I hadn't noticed that.
    I just compared it to my other half decent one and the blade is narrower. I've seen sawbacks with this logo on it but I never thought this was once one. At least they were good enough to leave the stamp and only tack it down after it.

Thanks for pointing this out as I wouldn't have noticed, would there be a reason for getting shot of the sawback as there is no trace left.

Well yes, due to the horrific wounds they could cause, anyone caught with one was summery executed by the allies, so the story goes. They were originally intended for cutting wood etc. by German Pioneer troops (sappers).

kc1
    ?

Conversely if you have access to a milling machine or the like its possible to convert an ordinary butchers to a saw back which did about 5 years ago enhance its value to another level. It was then surprising the number which were on the market.

Quote by kc1 View Post
    Conversely if you have access to a milling machine or the like its possible to convert an ordinary butchers to a saw back which did about 5 years ago enhance its value to another level. It was then surprising the number which were on the market.
    If Ive read your post correctly I would never fake a sawback to make more money as this is not what I agree with. Im not in this to make money but to collect original items.
    Doesn't faking items go against what this forum is for?

I know sawbacks were removed but that was possibly for the reasons above and wouldn't add value so I have no issue with that but adding it is another matter.

Here's a cousin to the OP's bayonet that I've had for several years.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Butcher bayonets with latest addition   WWI Butcher bayonets with latest addition  

WWI Butcher bayonets with latest addition   WWI Butcher bayonets with latest addition  

WWI Butcher bayonets with latest addition   WWI Butcher bayonets with latest addition  

?

Here is a Henckel with the saw-teeth I bought way back in the early days of Ebay, an estate sale listing. I 'slightly' cleaned the blade but it was very nice already.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Butcher bayonets with latest addition   WWI Butcher bayonets with latest addition