MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1940 Canadian Helmet

Article about: well, I'm trying to expand my realm of collecting, and came across this helmet in an antique store, all the marks on it look right. it was made in Canada, in 1940 due to the G.S.W. makers ma

Default 1940 Canadian Helmet

well, I'm trying to expand my realm of collecting, and came across this helmet in an antique store, all the marks on it look right. it was made in Canada, in 1940 due to the G.S.W. makers mark. the batch letter looks to be a "B." I was planning on putting an original liner in it along with a chin strap. what do you guys think? I'm a collector of German items, so im not to knowledgeable of the allied militaria.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 Canadian Helmet   1940 Canadian Helmet  

1940 Canadian Helmet  

It looks good but finding an original Canadian liner might be hard, though some of our Canadian members might be able to help.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I would buy a complete helmet, they are plentiful and not expensive.

?

IMO the exterior of the shell has been post war repainted .
    If you are so inclined to refurbish this Mk II send me a PM and I can help you out with the liner components that you will need .

Regards Mark K

looks like one repainted postwar by the Canadian army. I have a similar one. The trick with restoring these is finding the lug for the top that secures the liner as the liners themselves aren't super hard to find. Good luck!

I heard that G.S.W. produced helmets are not for combat personnel, but hey are one of the less common makers.

If I were you, I would wait for a better/complete example.

Regards,
    Taka

A repainted empty shell like this is worth $10-$15.

I'd also suggest you wait for a better or more
    complete example..........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I heard that G.S.W. produced helmets are not for combat personnel, but hey are one of the less common makers.

Hi Taka were did you hear this bit of Information.
    It is my understanding that a total of 155,000 mild steel helmets were produced by GSW in 1942 for the Department of Pensions and Health for use by the Air-Raids Precautions Service .
    These have their lugs welded not riveted to the rim and were manufactured from mild steel and not Manganese and should be found with no date or batch number and are marked G.S.W. DP&H there was however a batch of combat grade lids manufactured by G.S.W. in 1942 that did not pass final inspection these consequently were issued to the A.R.P. and should bare the batch code A.P.
    IMO all the other Mk II's that were manufactured by G.S.W. were combat grade shells .

Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]
    Hi Taka were did you hear this bit of Information.
    It is my understanding that a total of 155,000 mild steel helmets were produced by GSW in 1942 for the Department of Pensions and Health for use by the Air-Raids Precautions Service .
    These have their lugs welded not riveted to the rim and were manufactured from mild steel and not Manganese and should be found with no date or batch number and are marked G.S.W. DP&H there was however a batch of combat grade lids manufactured by G.S.W. in 1942 that did not pass final inspection these consequently were issued to the A.R.P. and should bare the batch code A.P.
    IMO all the other Mk II's that were manufactured by G.S.W. were combat grade shells .

Regards Mark K
    Ooops! It' s my mistake that I haven't include the DP&H, sorry about that.

I have one DP&H stamped Mk.II in my collection.

Hopefully, I can share my British/CDN Mk.II helmets by beginning of next month.

Cheer!
    Taka

?

Hi Taka can not wait to see them I have three more in the post that should start to get hear by early this week some time.

Regards Mark K

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast