Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

1940 Mk II Helmet marking help

Article about: I picked this up thinking a good WWII lid. I was very surprised to see a liner date of 1954. I did not know they used this helmet that long. Were these used post war by other countries? I wo

Default 1940 Mk II Helmet marking help

I picked this up thinking a good WWII lid. I was very surprised to see a liner date of 1954. I did not know they used this helmet that long. Were these used post war by other countries? I would also like to ask for help with the helmet of the maker and the other stamp below it. I found a good resource but have not been able to align helmet markings with the list. Poorly stamped and likely repainted when the liner was replace. I will keep as an example until I find a complete WWII helmet. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thank you for looking.
    John

1940 Mk II Helmet marking help1940 Mk II Helmet marking help1940 Mk II Helmet marking help1940 Mk II Helmet marking help1940 Mk II Helmet marking help1940 Mk II Helmet marking help1940 Mk II Helmet marking help

?

Maker William Dobson.
    Refurbished post war sometime from 1949 onwards,you see liners dated from then until about 54/55.
    There is an ink stamp under the liner where dated I can just see, the number is probably the date of refurbishment.

Thank you for the information.
    John

?

Here's few more of those ink stamps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 Mk II Helmet marking help   1940 Mk II Helmet marking help  

Attached Images Attached Images 1940 Mk II Helmet marking help 

Thank you for the pics. Here is a pic of the ink stamp from mine.
    John.

1940 Mk II Helmet marking help

?

Ah, looks like you have a 57, so we have 54,55,56, and now 57, what ever it stands for.
    My guess is the date.

A similar refurbishment of WW2 era MkII helmets happened in New Zealand, where the helmet type was used up until 1960, when the US M1 was adopted. One NZ MkII helmet I have, has the same FFL liner dated 1955. They were also repainted and chin strap replaced.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Ah, looks like you have a 57, so we have 54,55,56, and now 57, what ever it stands for.
    My guess is the date.
    I wonder if it is the hat size?

Hat Sizing Chart
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

It did cross my mind about size, but then during assembly you have to put the exact sized liner in the same size marked helmet.
    When it would be easier to just put liners into a helmet shell, but maybe not?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I wonder if it is the hat size?

Hat Sizing Chart
    I would say it is and is too small for my head. I think EU sizing is also smaller than US sizing but could be wrong.
    John