Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1942 NZ MKII Helmet

Article about: I've had this piece for a little while now, and I'm fairly happy with it - it is for the most part complete and in fairly good condition (I think!) for the price I got it for. It's stamped 1

?

Default 1942 NZ MKII Helmet

I've had this piece for a little while now, and I'm fairly happy with it - it is for the most part complete and in fairly good condition (I think!) for the price I got it for. It's stamped 1942 and the strap seems to have pretty heavy sweat staining - perhaps not surprising as NZ troops would of been fighting in the Pacific and Mediterranean theater's during 1942 and '43 (pretty much most of the war really). Anyways, I just felt like sharing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1942 NZ MKII Helmet   1942 NZ MKII Helmet  

1942 NZ MKII Helmet   1942 NZ MKII Helmet  

?

Very nice and hard to find, there might still be an NZ ink stamp on the inside of the shell.

?

I've looked very closely above the 1942 marking and it seems to say MK III? But that wouldn't be right seeing as this is a MK2. I can definitely see a K (I think). Anyways, where would I look inside of the shell to find the NZ mark?

?

A lovely example showing just the right amount of wear and Patina as mentioned by Aaron a fairly hard Mk II to source out side of NZ and one I need to add to my own shelf still ...

Regards Mark

?

The MkIII is for the type of chin strap lug, you are right the helmet is a Mk2.

SMP
    ?

You should be more than "fairly happy" with it - it is a an extremely nice example . Congratulations, and thanks for sharing it !

?

that it is!, thankyou and no problem, happy to share

Not to rain on your parade Mate,its a nice MkII but im fairly sure that this is an Aussie Lid. NZ lids would have nPz stamped on the chin strap lugs,Still a great MkII though,it could have been used by a Kiwi but this one was made in Australia.thanks for sharing.

?

What on/in the piece would identify it as an aussie tin?

Several Characteristics identify it as an Australian Helmet.
    The raw edge is the dead giveaway,The date on the chin stap lug is usual for Aussie lids,the numbers on the underside of the brim is the batch number,it should be preceeded by the letters CS (sometimes lightly stamped) which stand for Commonwealth Steel an Australian Steel Company that produced Helmets during the War.
    If you have a look underneath the sweatband or on the arms of the liner there could be the liners maker name,maybe Dunlop or another Australian maker,(there were several)
    Sometimes there is a broad arrow stenciled on the inner side of the Helmet with initials either side which is the inspectors mark.

Cheers Mick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast