Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1945 dated MKIV Helmet

Article about: Hi all. So the story goes, i was in a surplus shop, picking around their piles of helmets, when i noticed this (well) used and abused helmet. I figured it was just another MKIV that had been

Default 1945 dated MKIV Helmet

Hi all.

So the story goes, i was in a surplus shop, picking around their piles of helmets, when i noticed this (well) used and abused helmet. I figured it was just another MKIV that had been well used and abused, and just for grins i decided to take a look at the year. I was rather surprised to find that the shell was dated 1945, as to my knowledge at the time the MKIV helmet was produced well post war. I decided to purchase it in a lot of other stuff, so the total cost of this helmet comes to well under $10 USD.

Certainly not a “museum” piece, and not particularly rare in hindsight, i still figured i couldnt really go wrong for the price paid. Sits on my shelf with my MKV, Canadian MKII, and British MKII with repro liner.
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet
    1945 dated MKIV Helmet

EDIT: Sorry for the dressings being included as well. Not sure how that happened.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1945 dated MKIV Helmet   1945 dated MKIV Helmet  

1945 dated MKIV Helmet   1945 dated MKIV Helmet  

?

A nice untouched Mk4,meaning it hasn't been repainted olive drab (50's repaint) & still has the original dark brown.
    They were only made from late44/early45 until Jan'1946, although I've never seen a 46 dated one. Probably never will.
    The soldiers service number on the strap I think is for 1951-55, so probably sat in stores until that time.
    The price of these varies, sometimes they sell for as little as £30-45, others £70-80, but you got a bargain.

Wartime examples are well worth picking up and as Aaron mentioned good that it has not been repainted. A bargain at the price paid, though I have to say they are an ugly looking helmet to my eyes.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Wartime examples are well worth picking up and as Aaron mentioned good that it has not been repainted. A bargain at the price paid, though I have to say they are an ugly looking helmet to my eyes.
    Ok settle down Jerry although not the prettiest girl at the prom they start to look rather good after a few barley pop here is my 45 dated example for comparison.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1945 dated MKIV Helmet   1945 dated MKIV Helmet  

1945 dated MKIV Helmet  

Well worth the $10!....

Whoa ! $10 for a unpainted 1945 Mk.IV.

Well Done !

Cheers!
    Taka

Thanks guys. It certainly isnt the prettiest (either in its current shape or overall ) but I figured for the price I couldn’t go wrong.

Certainly “been there and done that” regardless of wherever that is!

Based on its feel and texture, i would imagine it spent some time in the desert.

?

They do grow on you after a while I have three MK 4-5 in my collection dating from 45 -52 with one MOD early 70's retro fit I need to acquire a Mk III to round my collection off .

Regards Mark K