Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Adrian better than modern lid?

Article about: A French infantry helmet from WWI offered better protection than the modern US Army helmet | Daily Mail Online A French infantry helmet from World War I offered better protection from blasts

Default Adrian better than modern lid?

A French infantry helmet from WWI offered better protection than the modern US Army helmet | Daily Mail Online

A French infantry helmet from World War I offered better protection from blasts than the modern US Army helmet, new experiment shows
    Really? I wouldn't trust the daily fail if they said today was Tuesday.

bit of a strange test to do now. but there is so many variables. That i can not see a test like this holding any real fact.
    be a good job to have.

Utter s**te!

Mind you it's good to know how much money the modern defence industry has wasted on sophisticated testing in very expensive R&D programmes when all that was needed was a visit to the local surplus store.

I will buy the blast deflecting properties of the comb though only in very specific circumstances but the rest of this drivel?

Look at the comments too! Do you imagine that any of these pumpers would even recognise the smell of gunsmoke or burnt Semtex etc?

I find Viz magazine a more informative read

Viz - The Official Viz Comic Website

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

This research was reported in the US periodical Army Times recently - This WWI helmet may outperform modern ones against shock waves

As far as I can see the point is that the Adrian has some effect is deflecting actual overhead 'blast' rather than protecting against projectiles of any kind. You don't need to be hit by anything to get a brain injury - your brain is essentially a jelly surrounded by fluid in a sealed container and doesn't react well to shockwaves.

Yep, so one limited area of effect in a specific circumstance. Not really a useful conclusion in the practical world.
    A Stirnpanzer would likely out-perform (whatever that means in this context) a modern composite but I would not be happy to wear one. It is a matter of synergy ie the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I agree that blast is at least as unhealthy as projectiles / fragments, plus it travels round corners!!

Been there, done that, didn't like it much

This is an interesting hypothesis but of little use on it's own.

My time has passed now but if I had to choose, modern ballistic composites have my vote every time

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I can accept what they are saying about the (limited) protective properties against 'blast,' but if the same researchers conducted an experiment concerning the protective properties of the Adrian against 'shrapnel,' the outcome would be entirely different!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I can accept what they are saying about the (limited) protective properties against 'blast,' but if the same researchers conducted an experiment concerning the protective properties of the Adrian against 'shrapnel,' the outcome would be entirely different!
    We could name it the "Colander effect" sounds quite scientific I think

Oh wait, I seem to recall we already know about that

Regards

Mark

Some shameful comments at the bottom of the article too. Morons.

Hi,

Interesting comments Indeed.

I guess the analysis is based on the conception of the helmet. It was already the case comparing German and French helmet of WW2.
    One was providing better protection in preventing a bullet to enter (in case it really can). But what can your neck do against an impact at 500 to 1000m/s?
    The other technology rely on soft shell that will absorb the chock and divert the bullet. This doesn't prevent a direct hit to enter but all non direct hit will be diverted.
    Will not even prevent a headache though, but you will save your head.

Question of technology. Hard against soft.
    Same for cars currently. They broke faster but absorb the chock to prevent you.

Bruno

Hello, I don't think you can compare them both. Different time, different materials and different possibilities.

The M15 Adrian did not necessarily perform well in tests during the First World War and the German M16 was significantly better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast