Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Afs mkii

Article about: Irish used AFS MKII by F&L 1939 with MKI liner by Vero 1938. Red painted exterior with the large AFS logo typical of Irish use but also with a set of the smaller size AFS lettering. Shel

Default Afs mkii

Irish used AFS MKII by F&L 1939 with MKI liner by Vero 1938.

Red painted exterior with the large AFS logo typical of Irish use but also with a set of the smaller size AFS lettering.

Shell is smooth shiny green painted in the dome.

There are three white dots either side of the dome as indicators of rank though as yet I do not know what rank that is but it is likely to be a senior officer grade?

Also shown is a picture of a two dot helmet on a parade in Dublin during the war. These Irish AFS helmets were used into the cold war period.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Afs mkii   Afs mkii  

Afs mkii   Afs mkii  

Afs mkii   Afs mkii  

Afs mkii   Afs mkii  

Afs mkii  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

There seems to be very limited info out there on Irish AFS ranks, but the post 1950 AFS which was part of the Irish civil defence organisation three bars/stripes on the epaulettes was the rank of first officer. Maybe the three dots indicated the same rank?..

Hi Jerry, I used to own the "brother" of this one! Mine also had the same rank insignia, although I am also non the wiser what the rank is? I sadly moved mine on, but I love the look of these red Irish MKII's. Leon.

?

There's a good chance the AFS is early war British AFS.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Afs mkii  

Quote by tinlid View Post
    There's a good chance the AFS is early war British AFS.
    I had wondered and even hoped that the overpainted smaller sized AFS logo might be UK prior to it being supplied to Ireland, though either way its a cracking lid IMO.

PS, I am sorry I forgot to credit you as the source of the pic I showed in the first post.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Didn't know red meant Irish, that's something new learned about the MKII helmet.

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    Didn't know red meant Irish, that's something new learned about the MKII helmet.

Tony
    Its not just RED rather red and larger letters, the UK also used red either on its own or with smaller letters.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Ah I see, thanks for the tip.