Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Air Raid Wardens Helmet Made In US???

Article about: Mick, I have found another one that I believe shows clear evidence of U.S. civil defense use, I posted it up on GHW. Link: Board Message

?

Default Re: Air Raid Wardens Helmet Made In US???

Mick,
    I have found another one that I believe shows clear evidence of U.S. civil defense use, I posted it up on GHW.

Link:
    Board Message

Well it looks like it might be US made and used.
    If anyone has a period pic of them in use,it would positively identify these helmets.
    (hope its not going to be like the elusive South African neck flap photo )
    Mick

Mick, until someone comes up with a good photo or documentation, I think I'm going to stick with this being a non-US used CD lid. I base this on three things. First, I've yet to have seen any example of a US CD helmet that was left in its OD paint, M1917 or ODC, almost all were painted white and a few have other odd paint schemes which I think were likely done at the local level. Second, this lid has the typical Brit style Air Warden "W" on it, as well as at least one other coutry (which I can't remember at the moment), probably supplied by the Brits. Last, the US did provide many war related items to the Brit (the lend lease program) and these easily could have been part of that program.

I'll keep looking either way, I've got a couple other doughboy style helmets I'm trying to ID so doing a lot of digging at the moment.

Russ

Hi Russ,
    I was just looking through the thread where members post pics of themselves.
    One of the members of the board "ez1969 " posted this picture taken in Hawaii.It shows a picture of a couple of Wardens with the Brodie with the W stencilled on,although its a slightly different letter style.Interestingly they have the normal CD patch on their sleeves.
    Ive emailed ez1969 to find out where it was taken so i might be able to get some more info.
    Thought you might like to see it
    Cheers Mate
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Air Raid Wardens Helmet Made In US???  

Interesting photo Mick....the plot thickens. If you noticed they are also carrying US OCD gas masks. I did find a couple of examples of Olive Drab M1917 lids used for US OCD but still have not come across one with the British style markings like the ones in this photo....I'll keep looking though.

REgards, Russ

?

There is also the possibility that this was marked up in the British style for use as a movie prop, in films such as Mrs Miniver made 1942.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Hi Nige,
    I found the original photo,so im sure this one is good.Theres a couple of other pics of Wardens on this site too.
    But all with the "American" style W.
    Got to keep looking
    Mick

http://libweb.hawaii.edu/digicoll/hw..._gifs/112f.gif

Quote by Nige H View Post
    There is also the possibility that this was marked up in the British style for use as a movie prop, in films such as Mrs Miniver made 1942.

Nige.
    Sorry Mate,i just reread your post and realize what you mean.
    I could live with that too,owning a piece of Film history
    Anyway the search continues.
    Mick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2