Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Am i missing something here?

Article about: by NCA Another question, just to get it straight in my head! MK 1 helmet is the ww1 brodie, MK2 is the ww2 tin hat,MK3 is the 'turtle' helmet with the chinstrap loops higher up the helmet, M

Default Re: Am i missing something here?

Quote by NCA View Post
    Another question, just to get it straight in my head!

MK 1 helmet is the ww1 brodie, MK2 is the ww2 tin hat,MK3 is the 'turtle' helmet with the chinstrap loops higher up the helmet, MK4 turtle type but rivets lowered(same liner as ww2 tinhat) MK5 turtle again but with a snap in liner and 'sock', Mk6 plastic helmet in use now along side MK7 not available to buy..
    Is that right?
    The first helmet was the rimless shrapnel helmet in 1915 next was the MK 1 brodie in 1916 with a rim and some alterations to the liner then came the MK 1* helmet which is a MK 1 brodie refurbished for WW11 with a MK1 liner and a MK1 chin strap and altered chin strap lugs ,then came the Mk.2 helmet which started out with a MK1 liner but then had the MK2 liner which was easier and cheaper to make. The liner used in the Mk.3 turtle helmet is a slightly modified standard Mk.2 liner, the modifications were needed because of the size difference between the Mk.2 and Mk.3 helmets, the modifications are the rubber buffers of the lining were in a different configuration and were of a different thickness. The MK4 turtle has a lift the dot press stud in the apex of the helmet and has a Mk.3 liner which is similar to the Mk.11 liner but it has a socket attachment in the crown pad, I have two variations of the Mk.3 liner one is detached from the helmet by lifting a tab in the middle of the crown pad, on the other one the whole crown pad is lifted when you pull the tab. Also the chin strap lugs were repositioned nearer the brim on the MK4 to provide greater stability when the helmet was used to carry water plus the liner was no longer attached to the helmet by a nut and bolt so it did not have any leaks unlike the Mk.3 turtle helmet. The MK5 turtle has a MK4 liner as you say that is the one with the sock. It gets even more confusing when you start getting into the different marks of chin straps.

NCA
    ?

Well..£102 final price.

Strange.The last militaria auction i attended mk2's were struggling to reach £40.And thant was for two as well!

Im honestly at a loss here...For less than £102 you can get a nice mk2 with a decal or painted division sign, or a good home front painted lid.Much more interesting.Or prehaps thats just me?!

Quote by noelh View Post
    Meanwhile all I want is a straightforward ordinary British army MkII.
    I have a British MkII... only it was re-issued as a Dutch Civil Defence helmet. It has OD paint remaining on the inside, white-washed on the outside, lots of scuffs/scratches/surface rust and fitted with the Dutch m34 liner. It looks fine on a styrofoam mannequin head though.

Generally fair to poor condition at present, but could be brought back:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Am i missing something here?  

?

Yes very odd, only today was I outbid for normal Tommy lid, £41. No probs well within the range. £102 is over the top. The winner paid over the odds. He's welcome to it, there's plenty more out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2